How can I convert RAW file Format to NTFS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erle Stanley Awuku

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
I have a GM SATA 160GB External Hard Drive that is USB compatible.During a recent file transfer, a suspected Virus infection caused all folders to executable files which even could not be viewed. Failing in several attempts to recover any of the affected files, I resorted to various formatting procedures including Low-level formatting. RAW file format resulted and now I need an NTFS file format to be able to use the drive!

Any useful suggestions???
Thank you.

Erle.

Solution
Step 1

Locate your partition in Windows Explorer by clicking the "Start," then "Computer" buttons.

Step 2

Right click the partition you wish to convert. This right click will bring up a context menu.

Step 3

Click the "Format" heading on the context menu, and wait for a dialog box to appear.

Step 4

Select the NTFS option from the pull down menu under the "File System" heading.

Step 5

Click the "Start" button from the bottom right corner of the window to begin the formatting process.

Step 6

Verify the file system of the drive by right clicking it once, and selecting the "Properties" heading upon completion of the formatting process to ensure your...

lazyperson17

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
when you plug the drive up to the computer, it should show up in the "My Computer" list of drives. When you right click on that drive, it should give you an option that will allow you to FORMAT the drive. Once the format windows opens, choose the type you want.

or, click on Start-->Run

Then in the text box, type "cmd"

once there, type in the following line with the correct drive directory.

BE CAREFUL THAT YOU DO NOT FORMAT ANOTHER DRIVE!!!!!!

format [Drive Label] (example: "format H:\" )

once you have entered this, hit the enter key

bmathews

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
Step 1

Locate your partition in Windows Explorer by clicking the "Start," then "Computer" buttons.

Step 2

Right click the partition you wish to convert. This right click will bring up a context menu.

Step 3

Click the "Format" heading on the context menu, and wait for a dialog box to appear.

Step 4

Select the NTFS option from the pull down menu under the "File System" heading.

Step 5

Click the "Start" button from the bottom right corner of the window to begin the formatting process.

Step 6

Verify the file system of the drive by right clicking it once, and selecting the "Properties" heading upon completion of the formatting process to ensure your partition is, in fact, formatted to NTFS.

I hope this helps!

Brett M,
Windows Outreach Team

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.