How can I do factory reset

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

abbarich

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
Still waiting for the flash drive but I will have a problem as I didn't write down the password. I've never needed it again actually. I've never used outlook but obviously I'll need to link it when I do a fresh install. Will I be able to create a new account when I'm asked to log in after the install. Thanks.

USAFRet

Titan
Still waiting for the flash drive but I will have a problem as I didn't write down the password. I've never needed it again actually. I've never used outlook but obviously I'll need to link it when I do a fresh install. Will I be able to create a new account when I'm asked to log in after the install. Thanks.
You don't know the password to your MS account?

Do you know the email address you used when you may have created it?
I believe there is a function for "I forgot my password". That will send you a link, to the associated email address, to make a new password

abbarich

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
I'm trying to remember what I did 5 years ago when I bought this laptop. It's possible that I didn't even set up a Microsoft account and have been using the internet without one. I've been getting windows updates though so I'm not certain.

abbarich

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
I'm going to try it today now the flash has arrived. I don't think I can access properties to find out if I have to set it to 64 bit. I can get into administrator and it says system 32. I'm assuming my laptop is only a 33 bit. Is this correct? Thanks

abbarich

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
Regarding my last post. As I'm doing a fresh installation will I be able to upgrade to 64 bit anyway or is this more involved than it sounds. I've got a Lenovo ideapad 100 which is over 5 years old so I'm not sure if I should stay with 32 as it says system 32 when I look in the admin box. Thanks

USAFRet

Titan
Regarding my last post. As I'm doing a fresh installation will I be able to upgrade to 64 bit anyway or is this more involved than it sounds. I've got a Lenovo ideapad 100 which is over 5 years old so I'm not sure if I should stay with 32 as it says system 32 when I look in the admin box. Thanks
A 64bit install is no different.
And a system that is only 5 years old is 64bit compatible.

Reactions: abbarich

abbarich

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
A slight snag. I tried to download the windows tool onto a friend's Chromebook but seemingly Chromebooks don't have enough disc space so I'm going to try to do this on my dad's desktop later this week. He did ask if the link on here is legit. I said I'm pretty sure it's from the official windows store. He seems a bit worried about downloading onto his computer so am I right that the link in this thread is the official one. Thanks.

USAFRet

Titan
A slight snag. I tried to download the windows tool onto a friend's Chromebook but seemingly Chromebooks don't have enough disc space so I'm going to try to do this on my dad's desktop later this week. He did ask if the link on here is legit. I said I'm pretty sure it's from the official windows store. He seems a bit worried about downloading onto his computer so am I right that the link in this thread is the official one. Thanks.
Direct from Microsoft, 100% legit
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Reactions: abbarich

abbarich

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
Hi, I'm going to try this tomorrow when I visit my dad. I've just thought though. I'm in the UK. Is this link okay for the UK or is it specifically for the USA. Thanks.

abbarich

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
PS. Regarding my last post I can't believe I never gave this a thought but will the link for Windows 10 reinstall be available for me in the UK. I've just realised you're in the USA. Thanks.

abbarich

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
Hello again. I've now got windows 10 on a flash drive. Can I just ask before I reinstall on my laptop. When I turn the laptop on it after it fails to start correctly it says automatic repair and 2 options, restart and advanced options. So do I insert the flash and then select use a device. Then EFI usb device. I've tried this without inserting the usb and it says system doesn't have any usb boot option please select other boot option in boot manager menu. If I insert the flash drive what will happen. Will the reinstall process begin or will I have to do something else first. Many thanks.

USAFRet

Titan
Hello again. I've now got windows 10 on a flash drive. Can I just ask before I reinstall on my laptop. When I turn the laptop on it after it fails to start correctly it says automatic repair and 2 options, restart and advanced options. So do I insert the flash and then select use a device. Then EFI usb device. I've tried this without inserting the usb and it says system doesn't have any usb boot option please select other boot option in boot manager menu. If I insert the flash drive what will happen. Will the reinstall process begin or will I have to do something else first. Many thanks.
Power off
Put the flash drive in
Power up

It should boot from the flash drive

abbarich

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
Thanks. So the usb just overrides what I'm seeing now then? I just wanted to make sure before inserting the usb as I m not sure how I would remove the usb safely if this page was still there. Thanks for your help.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks. So the usb just overrides what I'm seeing now then? I just wanted to make sure before inserting the usb as I m not sure how I would remove the usb safely if this page was still there. Thanks for your help.
Yes.

abbarich

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
I've done it! My old laptop is working again. There were a couple of differences to the tutorial. I wasn't asked for the product key for some reason and I wasn't asked to select windows home edition either. I'm assuming it just did this automatically. I wasn't able to disable Cortana, it just started automatically. I was going to download Chrome which I've used for years but it's telling me there's no need and to stick with Microsoft edge which is now on my laptop. Do you agree? Many thanks for your help. This is a really informative site! 👍

abbarich

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
PS. When I click on start Cortana icon is on left hand side of screen. I've never had this on a computer before. Should I leave it there? Or do you advise getting rid of it? Is it even possible now that it assisted in windows installation. Thanks.

abbarich

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
I'm not sure what's happened but since I reinstalled windows 10 my laptop after a few days started with windows is configuring please don't turn off computer. Is this normal after a reinstall. It did it yesterday and again today. thanks.

abbarich

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
Thanks for that. I just don't remember the laptop doing this so often before. It was only now and again. Maybe it will do this more often for a while til I get all the updates?

abbarich

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
Thanks for that. I just don't remember the laptop doing this so often before. It was only now and again. Maybe it will do this more often for a while til I get all the updates?

Hi I've just tried to print something for the first time since the restall but it's saying the inkjet printer drive isn't available. It never did this before the restall. Do you know how I can fix this problem? Thanks.