[SOLVED] How can I figure out the maximum RAM speed my laptop supports without OC? Also a few other questions.

Nov 23, 2021
Hi, I've been trying to figure out the maximum RAM speed my laptop can handle without overclocking it. It currently has 12GB DDR4 2400 (a 4GB and an 8GB, max total is 32GB).
  • In CPU-Z, it shows them running at 1200MHz (x 2 cycles per hz of course, giving 2400MHz). Does CPU-Z measure what the ram is running at, or what it's technically designed to be able to run at?

• When checking in Task Manager's Memory section, it's only showing 2133MHz. Would the computer put the ram in a slower state to conserve battery power and show this? Or is this really the max that the mobo can handle with the given RAM, thereby setting my ram to this slower speed?

• I also tried looking up the laptop model, an Acer Aspire F5-573T, but am having a hard time finding anything specific about the maximum RAM speed it can handle. The motherboard is called a Acer Captain_SK, and the CPU is an Intel Kaby Lake-U Premium PCH.

• Some RAM websites (like crucial) are coming back with results saying that 2666MHz ram is compatible, but the thing is, compatible just means it will work, not that the computer supports up to the 2666 speed.. Don't want to spend all that money just to have the computer limit it all to 2133.

• I've also found similar laptops saying they come included with 2133MHz ram, but just because that's what's included, doesn't necessarily mean that's the max the computer can take. Perhaps the manufacturer was trying to keep the costs low, I can't know.
Thanks for any assistance! :)

Solution
CPU-Z will tell you what the ram is, all its profiles, and the current speed it is running at.

Far as I know, only the latest CPUs have 'boost' clocks for memory and power saving (though I believe it is technically feasible for DDR4). One of the reasons they moved the power management chip to the memory for DDR5.

Official memory speed will be determined by the installed CPU, overclocking is generally not supported on laptops.

Yes, generally they will use the cheapest available memory available during assembly. For the majority of people, only the capacity means anything to them.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
CPU-Z will tell you what the ram is, all its profiles, and the current speed it is running at.

Far as I know, only the latest CPUs have 'boost' clocks for memory and power saving (though I believe it is technically feasible for DDR4). One of the reasons they moved the power management chip to the memory for DDR5.

Official memory speed will be determined by the installed CPU, overclocking is generally not supported on laptops.

Yes, generally they will use the cheapest available memory available during assembly. For the majority of people, only the capacity means anything to them.

Reactions: robxb
Solution
Nov 23, 2021

Thanks for that information, so moving forward now, how can I find out what the max supported RAM speed it on this motherboard?

On CPU-Z the memory tab tells you what specs are running.
Go to the SPD tab, and look at what is in each ram slot.
It will tell you the specs of the ram in that slot.

All this is moot.
A laptop bios will rarely allow you to set ram specs, regardless if the ram can go faster or the motherboard could handle it.

Next intel processors are not dependent for fast ram for performance.
Integrated graphics DO run better with faster ram.

If you want to buy more ram, buy the 2 x 8 or 2 x 16gb kit that crucial or kingston suggest for your laptop,

Hi, I've been trying to figure out the maximum RAM speed my laptop can handle without overclocking it. It currently has 12GB DDR4 2400 (a 4GB and an 8GB, max total is 32GB).
  • In CPU-Z, it shows them running at 1200MHz (x 2 cycles per hz of course, giving 2400MHz). Does CPU-Z measure what the ram is running at, or what it's technically designed to be able to run at?

• When checking in Task Manager's Memory section, it's only showing 2133MHz. Would the computer put the ram in a slower state to conserve battery power and show this? Or is this really the max that the mobo can handle with the given RAM, thereby setting my ram to this slower speed?

• I also tried looking up the laptop model, an Acer Aspire F5-573T, but am having a hard time finding anything specific about the maximum RAM speed it can handle. The motherboard is called a Acer Captain_SK, and the CPU is an Intel Kaby Lake-U Premium PCH.

• Some RAM websites (like crucial) are coming back with results saying that 2666MHz ram is compatible, but the thing is, compatible just means it will work, not that the computer supports up to the 2666 speed.. Don't want to spend all that money just to have the computer limit it all to 2133.

• I've also found similar laptops saying they come included with 2133MHz ram, but just because that's what's included, doesn't necessarily mean that's the max the computer can take. Perhaps the manufacturer was trying to keep the costs low, I can't know.
Thanks for any assistance! :)
Unless your bios allows you to play with ram speed I suspect the ram will run at the native speed the cpu supports.

Look up the specs for your cpu and see what it says about ram speed.

Reactions: robxb