taketa

Reputable
May 26, 2019
So, hello everybody, I have an old Acer Aspire 5738ZG (specs: Intel Pentium T4100 @ 2.10Ghz, NVidia GForce GM105M) that i wished to overclock the cpu..
Well, its a laptop, so I know thermals are bad, but I just want some boost on performance.
Knowing that is a locked cpu, I tried my best at overclocking the fsb. No f* luck. Just to find the damn PLL name was hard enough, ( managed to discover it on this website: laptop-schematics.com/ ), which is ICS9LPRS365B.
Just changing one step, the whole screen is filled with white bars (as in the picture). Also, the PLL that im using on setfsb has a couple more letters, ICS9LPRS365BGLF.

What I have to do for overclock the fsb?
( I will also include CPU-z information )

The pictures are here: View: https://imgur.com/a/GgAFJ5z

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You can't(cause locked), and it's not worth it. Plus, if you could OC it, and if you're already having problems with heat, OC'ing generates even more heat.
You'd get more performance switching the hdd to a ssd over OC the cpu(if you could) anyway.
Enable high performance in windows power plan - but I believe you're forced to keep it plugged in for that, otherwise it automatically switches back to balanced on battery.
Not much else you can do to salvage that laptop.

taketa

Reputable
May 26, 2019
You can't(cause locked), and it's not worth it. Plus, if you could OC it, and if you're already having problems with heat, OC'ing generates even more heat.
You'd get more performance switching the hdd to a ssd over OC the cpu(if you could) anyway.
Enable high performance in windows power plan - but I believe you're forced to keep it plugged in for that, otherwise it automatically switches back to balanced on battery.
Not much else you can do to salvage that laptop.

But even 200Mhz isnt possible? On max load, the cpu hits 72ºc, there is some margin, I guess.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You're not even going to notice a 200mhz bump. The cpu is just slow(2.1ghz). 3.0ghz would be noticeable, but is simply impossible for that chip.
Replacing the hdd for an ssd would still yield more performance, plus changing settings in windows power plan as mentioned in my previous post.

It's better if you saved up for something newer, IMO.

taketa

Reputable
May 26, 2019
Okay, thanks for the information, I was just curious what could I do before killing it =P.

Btw, this isn't my main system, my main is a i3-8100 paired with a rx560 4gb

sinetyv.nr1

Prominent
Aug 29, 2018
If you want to overclock and IntelXTU is not working try ThrottleStop (I am using it to undervolt my CPU which is locked, so if you increase the voltage, it should be overclocked). Note that if you do this you will also need to create a task to start with windows so you do not have to open ThrottleStop every time you boot your laptop, but that is easy...