how can i install windows 10 and keep win7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZTiger

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
i have an ssd which is nearly full with like 10gb remaining, and a hdd with all my movies and games etc on. im guessing ill need to buy an extra ssd to do the win10 install on but i have no idea how to go about doing iy.. im afraid ill click something wrong and it'll install in the wrong place or something.
i have 8gb ram and amd fx 6300 cpu.
ive already reseved my win10 copy and it is already downloaded to my full to the brim ssd, i just need instructions on how to go ahead and get win10 onto a second ssd if it is at all possible, thanks

EDIT: also, would i be able to use my games still if win10 is installed on a separate ssd or will that cause some interference and not allow me to play the games?

Solution
Does not work like that.

You cant download windows 10 to drive A, and have it install windows 10 to drive B while still being booted into Windows on drive A.
You either copy Drive A to Drive B, then upgrade Windows 10 (over windows 7) onto drive B.
Or you create a bootable usb drive or DVD of your windows 10 install and then shutdown PC, unplug drive A, plug in drive B, reboot and install windows 10 from usb or dvd onto drive B (after finalizing install you can plug drive A back in).

As I stated above. If you do a clean install of windows 10 on Drive B, you will not be able to run any games or programs that were already installed on Drive A
If you don't want to have to reinstall all of your games then simply get another SSD drive, transfer the old drive to the new drive, and do an upgrade to windows 10.

You can not play your games or programs that were installed to a different copy of windows (does not matter if it is the same version or not). When you installed the game on the windows 7 drive it put different keys in the registry and different files throughout that drive. Thus if you tried to run it would be looking on your windows 10 install for the keys/files that does not exist.

EZTiger

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

right so all i do is setup a new SSD, then go ahead and install windows 10 onto the new ssd? will the win10 install files being on the old ssd not affect where i can install it?

Does not work like that.

You cant download windows 10 to drive A, and have it install windows 10 to drive B while still being booted into Windows on drive A.
You either copy Drive A to Drive B, then upgrade Windows 10 (over windows 7) onto drive B.
Or you create a bootable usb drive or DVD of your windows 10 install and then shutdown PC, unplug drive A, plug in drive B, reboot and install windows 10 from usb or dvd onto drive B (after finalizing install you can plug drive A back in).

As I stated above. If you do a clean install of windows 10 on Drive B, you will not be able to run any games or programs that were already installed on Drive A

Solution

EZTiger

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

understood, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.