[SOLVED] How can i install windows to ssd with usb and hdd not removed

cassian69

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
I bought a ssd and i wanna install my windows on it and i searched on the internet how do i install windows on a ssd with usb but some said to remove hdd others didnt even mention a hdd or others were tutorials in which they didnt use an usb so to clarify i posted here.
Can i install windows on ssd without removing the hdd or no?Since i kindof found it dumb that im gonna remove the space which im gonna use.
And also can u tell me what i gotta do in bios like boot order or something like that.

Solution
I bought a ssd and i wanna install my windows on it and i searched on the internet how do i install windows on a ssd with usb but some said to remove hdd others didnt even mention a hdd or others were tutorials in which they didnt use an usb so to clarify i posted here.
Can i install windows on ssd without removing the hdd or no?Since i kindof found it dumb that im gonna remove the space which im gonna use.
And also can u tell me what i gotta do in bios like boot order or something like that.
if you boot from a USB it will give you the option to select which drive you want to install.

if you have win 7, and want to upgrade to 10, using the media creation tool will upgrade whatever OS drive it is booted into.

if you have...
You remove HDD only for duration of windows install process. After that you reconnect HDD.
It is necessary for SSD to become bootable. If you leave HDD connected, your pc will boot from HDD.
If HDD is removed later, you won't be able to boot your pc at all (SSD will not be bootable, even if windows is installed on SSD).

This topic should answer rest of your questions about installation of windows.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Last edited:
May 3, 2019
You remove HDD only for duration of windows install process. After that you reconnect HDD.
It is necessary for SSD to become bootable. If you leave HDD connected, your pc will boot from HDD.
If HDD is removed later, you won't be able to boot your pc at all (SSD will not be bootable, even if windows is installed on SSD).

This topic should answer rest of your questions about installation of windows.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/
if you boot from a USB it will give you the option to select which drive you want to install.

if you have win 7, and want to upgrade to 10, using the media creation tool will upgrade whatever OS drive it is booted into.

May 3, 2019

if you have windows on a hdd, install your ssd and leave your hdd in. create a bootable usb for the os you want installed.

boot into that usb tool, and format all drives, select your SSD from the list and install.

Solution
Apr 3, 2019
When using a bootable USB-drive that is made with the windows media creation tool, you should be able to select which drive you want to install it to. But don't forget to make your recovery partitions. To do this you must select your drive where you would like to install windows on and then click new. Some partitions will appear. Again select the largest partition of the drive you just divided and simply click new.

To be able to boot from the SSD you need to change your boot order in the bios. In most cases there is a bar in the middle of the BIOS-screen where you can simply drag and drop the drives. Drag the SSD all the way to the left.

You do not need to physically remove the HDD during the windows install; just disconnect either the HDD sata power or signal cable during the process.
The reason you do not want a HDD present is because windows will place hidden recovery data on it making it all but impossible to ever remove the HDD later.
After windows install, you can reconnect