mikey4sho

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
I bought a Dell Optiplex GX270 for about $150 and upgraded the processor, graphics card, and ram.

Current SPECS:

MOBO: Dell Optiplex GX270
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz
RAM: 4gb (4x 1gb) (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3850 (512 MB)

(If you need any other info on my specs let me know.)

Basically I was hoping I could get pointers from you more experienced folks out there.

How can I "max" this thing out?

Benchmark: I want to be able to play, let's say, Left 4 Dead 2 on High settings without FPS lagg or odd glitches.

I've attempted ARMA2 on this current rig and even on lowest settings the FPS was unbarable... :(

Triangles, rectangles, and squares appearing in mid air. Very odd glitchy graphics.

Thanks in advanced to any who put in helpful info,

Mikey

D

Deleted member 217926

You have severely unrealistic expectations of what a P4 with DDR and a graphics card from 2007 can do :ange:

You dont even meet the minimum requirements for ARMA2:

Minimal PC Requirements
CPU: Dual Core Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz / Intel Core 2.0 GHz / AMD Athlon 3200+ or faster
RAM: 1 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 / ATI Radeon 1800 with Shader Model 3 and 256 MB VRAM or faster

Optimal PC Requirements
CPU: Intel Core 2.8 GHz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ or faster
RAM: 2 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT / ATI Radeon 4850 with Shader Model 3 and 512 MB VRAM or faster

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

are you sure about that? let see:
Min PC Req ??? his specs
cpu: p4 3.0 Ghz = p4 3.0 Ghz
mem: 1 Gb < 4 GB
gpu: ati 1800 < ati HD 3850
his specs are above the min but not enough.
to the op, only on solution, get a new computer.

D

Deleted member 217926

Did you READ the minimum specs? Dual Core Pentium 4 = P4 830 or 930

mikey4sho

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Well, what IS possible with this rig? What is the best processor I could put in this old thing?

I can play L4D2 on low settings smooth. Getting 15-50 fps usually around 30fps.

Sugguestions as to what I can add or replace in this machine?

I don't have the money to go out and buy a brand new PC, atleast none that I know of that can handle something like ARMA2 and at a bargain price.

I'm just trying to get the most out of this old thing before I absolutely have to kick it to the curb.

Thanks again for everyones input and time to look at this thread.

dpaul8

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
If I am reading your post correctly, you paid $150 for an old Dell Optiplex GX270, and then paid for the following upgrades: Pentium 4 CPU, 4GB RAM, and ATI 3850 graphics card. So you must have about $300 invested in this almost 8 year old system.

In hindsight, you would have been better off buying a new Dell AMD Anthon II system for $300, and adding a Dell GT220 video card for $100. For $400, you would have a system that would at least play most games adequately at low settings.

I can't believe I just recommended buying a new Dell computer.

mikey4sho

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Yeah, I know. I needed a PC and cheap. But something that could actually run. it came with 256mb RAM stock, 40gb hard drive stock, i put an old 200gb hard drive in it from an old system and onboard graphics... Well, could I get a "new" intel MOBO and better processor to get the full bang out of my video card? I heard that the 3850 doesn't do what it can when running through a p4. Don't let the 3850's age fool you... It can run Left 4 Dead 2 on High settings but that is when it starts to lack FPS. Not unbarable, but it takes away from gameplay experience.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

How can max this thing out?...well...you can't. Your system cannot pull these games.

mikey4sho

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Well, I'll just live with this rig until I can actually afford an entirely new PC.

Since most of you are suggesting a new PC, am I better off buying a prebuilt system or buying the parts myself?

If yes to prebuilt, where is a good place to look if I am looking for a gaming PC capable of running modern games smoothly?

If yes to building my own, what motherboard do you guys suggest I work with?

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
If you have expirience, understand the risk, and know well what you are doing then I recommend building it.
If you are pretty clueless or anything short of being good with computer hardware and knowing how to handle it properly then I recommend getting a prebuilt, dell, gateway, compaq, hp...etc all make pretty good prebuilt systems with very good deals. Plus if its doesn't work, you dont have to troubleshoot and you have warranty which makes life easier.

mikey4sho

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
No, I know how to handle computer hardware. I understand the risks. I'm just not sure in what direction I should go as far as which hardware I should get for a gaming specific rig. One that would be upgradable aswell to keep up with the demand even a few years down the road. It's one thing to go online and just look at mobo's but I'm asking those who know more about the specific capabilities of those mobo's. Opinions please.

noonway

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Ironic... This is about the exact setup I am ditching after putting about $1k into it over the past 7 years. Currently have P4-3Ghz, HD 3850, 4GB RAM... It's been a trooper, but I'm building a new one now.. See my other thread. :)

Here...