[SOLVED] How can I optimize Ubuntu 16.04 performance

Mar 2, 2020
I have AWS Lightsail server and installed Ubuntu 16.04. It has 512 MB memory and 20 GB disk. How can I optimize operating system?

I just using OpenVPN Access Server on this server. I want to turn off all unnecessary things. Server must run just OpenVPN Access Server and what OpenVPN Access Server needs.

Solution
If you've installed Ubuntu server, it's already minimal installation, without extra processes. If you need better performance, you need better "hardware". Depending on how much traffic this VPN server will pass thru, you might need much better hardware and RAM.

In order to "optimize" something, you need to know where the bottleneck is. Once you have your sever up, running, and loaded, check memory usage, CPU usage, etc, to know what needs "improvement".
If you've installed Ubuntu server, it's already minimal installation, without extra processes. If you need better performance, you need better "hardware". Depending on how much traffic this VPN server will pass thru, you might need much better hardware and RAM.

In order to "optimize" something, you need to know where the bottleneck is. Once you have your sever up, running, and loaded, check memory usage, CPU usage, etc, to know what needs "improvement".

Solution
Mar 2, 2020

OpenVPN Access Server uses 200 MB of memory.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020
It is not just about memory. Looking at your other questions here, you probably plan to use this server for heavy VPN traffic, and this requires both memory and CPU resources. Take some performance data before "optimizing".
Capture.jpg

Capture-2.jpg
Capture-3.jpg
Capture-4.jpg

Reactions: Alabalcho