[SOLVED] How can I reset a HDD to factory settings externally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UmarG

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2013
I have an old laptop that I want to reset and give to someone else, but I need to reset the HDD first, such that it removes all files except Windows 10.

I've tried running Windows 10's built-in reset option (Settings > Update and Security > Recovery > Reset this PC), but it's failed everytime that I have tried (I've tried running it to remove all files as well as to remove just the files in C:/).

So, I decided to remove the HDD and format it using a USB 3.0-to-SATA adapter on my current laptop. But I'm not sure how to go about this without also removing Windows - is there any way that I can reset this HDD using the external adapter while retaining its Windows installation?

I have an old laptop that I want to reset and give to someone else, but I need to reset the HDD first, such that it removes all files except Windows 10.

I've tried running Windows 10's built-in reset option (Settings > Update and Security > Recovery > Reset this PC), but it's failed everytime that I have tried (I've tried running it to remove all files as well as to remove just the files in C:/).

So, I decided to remove the HDD and format it using a USB 3.0-to-SATA adapter on my current laptop. But I'm not sure how to go about this without also removing Windows - is there any way that I can reset this HDD using the external adapter while retaining its Windows installation?
Why don't you just reinstall windows after deleting all partitions ? That should take less time than just going around deleting things.

UmarG

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2013
Why don't you just reinstall windows after deleting all partitions ? That should take less time than just going around deleting things.

The main reason is that I don't have an installation disk for Windows and buying it is rather expensive - the windows that is installed came pre-installed on the laptop. I was hoping that I could wipe the drive without having to re-purchase Windows for it :sweatsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.