[SOLVED] How can I use an M.2 32 Gb Intel Optane Memory stick on an unsupported mobo?

Tyler_146

Reputable
Jun 21, 2017
I inherited a 32 Gb Intel Optane Memory stick from my father that he bought some time ago, but never used. I was going to install it and the corresponding drivers and software but realized that my mobo's chipset is that of the 300 series (GA-X99-Gaming 5), while the stick requires a 200 chipset.

My computer still recognizes it as a drive - is there any real use I can squeeze out of this stick, or should I sell it?

Tyler_146

Reputable
Jun 21, 2017
I have enough SSDs in my system, and I never experience slow downs with my hard drive, so I can't say I really have a use for what would effectively be a small SSD, when I could instead occupy my slots with a wifi card/ssd.

I'll sell it.

I inherited a 32 Gb Intel Optane Memory stick from my father that he bought some time ago, but never used. I was going to install it and the corresponding drivers and software but realized that my mobo's chipset is that of the 300 series (GA-X99-Gaming 5), while the stick requires a 200 chipset.

My computer still recognizes it as a drive - is there any real use I can squeeze out of this stick, or should I sell it?
Optane was invented as a speeder upper for hdd based systems.
I does not have much function with folks going to ssd's.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Optane for the consumer is pretty much dead.

Micron ditched it, Intel is carrying on in the server space, not really sure how the sale of the Fab effects Intel's supply, I vaguely recall the partnership included an Intel fab as well, so they'll still have that.

USAFRet

Titan
Agreed, but if I had it, I'd just use it since if it's mostly dead you're not going to get any money for it otherwise.
'mostly dead' in consumer use.
Someone else might want it.

And it would be sucking up an otherwise usable M.2 port.

But, selling on fleabay might net you $20. Almost not worth the time taking it to UPS to ship.

And if it cannot be used as an actual Optane thing...worse than useless.

'mostly dead' in consumer use.
Someone else might want it.

And it would be sucking up an otherwise usable M.2 port.

But, selling on fleabay might net you $20. Almost not worth the time taking it to UPS to ship.

And if it cannot be used as an actual Optane thing...worse than useless.
I don't see much demand for these even in the homelab scene, and like you said, just taking the time and cost to ship to make $10 may not be worth it and it would be worth more just using the m.2 if it was empty.

USAFRet

Titan
I don't see much demand for these even in the homelab scene, and like you said, just taking the time and cost to ship to make $10 may not be worth it and it would be worth more just using the m.2 if it was empty.
Everyone has a whole box or drawer of junk that is no longer useful.
I know I do.

900MHz PCMCIA WiFi things, chargers and cables for unknown PDAs, 802.11b adapters...
These Optane modules are on the cusp of being those.