How can I use the least number of physical connections for my laptop? 2 Monitors, Multiple USB Devices, Power Supply

nsbohn

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
I travel frequently, hence the laptop, but when I'm at my desk I have a pretty good workstation setup with 2 large 1080p monitors, keyboard, mouse, printer, etc. etc.

The problem I have, is that I have to plug in too many devices. I'm considering a USB-C hub, but I'm not sure how to get the most out of my computer with the least number of connections.

I currently connect the following, each time I return home:

Power Supply
MiniDisplayport (attached to monitor 1 via MiniDisplayport to HDMI adapter)
HDMI for monitor 2
Multiple USB Devices

The last one is simple, and can easily by solved via the USB-C Hub.

My question is, how can I run my two monitors from my new laptop with less connections for the monitors?

If I use an HDMI or DP adapter from the USB-C hub, will I get the benefits of the graphics card, or will it be using the integrated onboard graphics? The latter might be OK for my secondary display, as I only run graphics intensive tasks on one monitor (typically CAD, occasionally games).

Is there a way to leverage the full power of my graphics card for both displays via one graphics card port or ALL of the above via the USB-C hub?

P.S. - Here's the new PC of choice: https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Tracer-III-15-Slim-VR-500 Let's try not to make this about Cyberpower vs other builders vs major brands, please. I've gotten very good service and some great machines at excellent prices from Cyberpower over the years.

Solution
Mini dp supports 2x monitors simultaneously via MST. Easiest solution is get a 2-3way mini dp MST splitter, should run less than $100 but most are closer to $50ish or less. This'll put both monitors on the single mini dp, without messing with the USB-C hub or buying a new laptop (sheesh!)

That one is just a usb-c without thunderbolt. However if you get a laptop that has a usb-c port that is thunderbolt 3 compatible you suddenly only need 1 cable. A usb-c to whatever dock you want.

So look for a laptop that has usb-c but with thunderbolt 3 functions and you are good to go.

A laptop that has it is the Asus ROG GL502VM not the best laptop you can get for the price but just an easy example.

richardvday

Honorable
Sep 23, 2017

This is good advice, the reason WHY is because TB3(Thunderbolt3) can also carry your Video which normal USB-C can not do.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Mini dp supports 2x monitors simultaneously via MST. Easiest solution is get a 2-3way mini dp MST splitter, should run less than $100 but most are closer to $50ish or less. This'll put both monitors on the single mini dp, without messing with the USB-C hub or buying a new laptop (sheesh!)

Solution

nsbohn

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016

While I agree with the premise, and have considered this thoroughly, what I'm hearing is that the Thunderbolt 3 port would carry the signal from the integrated onboard graphics, not from the graphics card (read, considerably lower performance). Hence, the USB-C vs Thunderbolt issue is not pertinent here, not mention has been beaten to death.

nsbohn

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016

You're absolutely right! However, the selection of available machines with docking stations anymore is pretty laughable, and none of them (that I've seen) have discrete graphics. Which brings me back to where I was to begin with.

richardvday

Honorable
Sep 23, 2017

I thought this was resolved already but OK.
TB3 Does support an external GPU if desired though. If you want to you could in fact get an external GPU case with a powerful GPU. Upgrade the gpu or laptop independently if you liked at some later date.
But really I dont care about what is better here I was only trying to help. I dont have TB3 nor do I have USB-C actually my preference would be USB-C. What I like or need is not necessarily what YOU need though.