[SOLVED] how do i connect a reset switch to this??

Solution
Yeah, if you don't have much building experience, that "connect the Reset Switch ... " thing won't help much. But I can explain.

On the front of your case one of the pushbuttons is "Reset". Its normal use is to let you force a reset when your system freezes. The case makers want you to change the wires from that switch so that it becomes your fan speed selector pushbutton instead. How?

Shut down your system, disconnect the power cord on the back, and open the case side panel. Check this photo of your mobo

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/eZIAAMXQTgZQ91tf/s-l640.jpg

NOTE that this photo shows the board with its REAR edge (with the rear panel connectors) at the bottom. But inside your case that would be to the LEFT. So imagine...

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Not entirely sure that's the actual issue. The link just opens a list of search results...not sure which one you are speaking of?

'fans going on and off' .....

What are the details of this scenario?
When does this occur? Under load or at idle?
How are the fans connected and controlled? Motherboard header or fan controller?
What fans?
What motherboard?
Other details that might offer relevance...

May 19, 2019
hi sorry yeah it wouldnt let me link the exact picture i was talking about

but basically i have a CIT raider case that came standard with 4 RBG fans that are connected to a fan hub called "rainbow 5-p" the fans are 5 pins connectors and the fan hub is connected by a sata wire straight to the PSU, my fans dont spin when turning my pc on i have to unplug the fan hub box and plug it back in to make them spin, the RBG lights dont work at all and when plugging the fans into the fan box if i plug 1 fan in itll spin then if i plug a second fan in itll stop the first fan spinning

my motherboard is dq77mk

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CiT-Raider-Gaming-Case-Mid-Tower/dp/B07G4GRTQ4 this is my case and fans also if you check the 6th picture down that is the fan box im talking about

thanks for the reply

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I am assuming you tried the information provided below the image, the one I have highlighted:

2tTZ7gB.png

You would need to use the remote to change the settings, I would imagine.

May 19, 2019
I am assuming you tried the information provided below the image, the one I have highlighted:

2tTZ7gB.png

You would need to use the remote to change the settings, I would imagine.

ive got the remote but the speed button doesnt change fan speed just the speed of the RGB lights (when they work)

but on the image it says i need to connect the reset switch at the bottom but i dont have a clue how to do this or where it goes, the box is just plugged in by a sata cable that goes straight to the PSU but there is a cable thats got 4 holes but 1 is covered up thats just sat inside my case not plugged into anywhere but i cant find anyhwere on the MB to connect this to, i dont know if that has anything to do with it aha im fairly new to pcs

May 19, 2019
the 4 fans are spinning at the moment but if i restart theyll go off then i have to unplug the fan box and plug it back in for the to spin again or spin them with my hand sometimes works too

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yeah, if you don't have much building experience, that "connect the Reset Switch ... " thing won't help much. But I can explain.

On the front of your case one of the pushbuttons is "Reset". Its normal use is to let you force a reset when your system freezes. The case makers want you to change the wires from that switch so that it becomes your fan speed selector pushbutton instead. How?

Shut down your system, disconnect the power cord on the back, and open the case side panel. Check this photo of your mobo

NOTE that this photo shows the board with its REAR edge (with the rear panel connectors) at the bottom. But inside your case that would be to the LEFT. So imagine that photo rotated clockwise a quarter turn, with the rear connector panel at the upper left, and the blue and black RAM slots vertical and to the right of the main CPU chip position. That's how it will look inside your case. Now, look then at the front edge of your mobo very close to the bottom corner. There is a header called the Front Panel header with several different colours of pins on it. Slipped onto those pins will be several diferent wire sets, each with little connector sleeves on the wire ends, and HOPEFULLY there will be labels on those connectors. You are looking for a pair of wires labelled RESET. They may be two wires in one 2-hole connector, or they may be single connectors on the ends of two wires. Either way, THOSE are the two wires you should disconnect from this header and plug into the pins on the end of your case's fan BOX unit. In this case do not worry about connector polarity. The front panel Reset pushbutton is only a momentary-contact switch just like a doorbell button, and + and - do NOT matter. When done, close up your case, reconnect its power cord, and boot up. From now on you can use that front panel RESET pushbutton to change the speeds of your fans.

Now, this means you no longer have a Reset button to deal with freeze-ups. But there's another way when you need it. Push in and hold the regular "On / Off" button for at least five seconds to force it to shut down immediately. Release the button for a few seconds. Then do a normal push-and-release of that same button to start up again.

Reactions: marca8309
Solution
May 19, 2019

NOTE that this photo shows the board with its REAR edge (with the rear panel connectors) at the bottom. But inside your case that would be to the LEFT. So imagine that photo rotated clockwise a quarter turn, with the rear connector panel at the upper left, and the blue and black RAM slots vertical and to the right of the main CPU chip position. That's how it will look inside your case. Now, look then at the front edge of your mobo very close to the bottom corner. There is a header called the Front Panel header with several different colours of pins on it. Slipped onto those pins will be several diferent wire sets, each with little connector sleeves on the wire ends, and HOPEFULLY there will be labels on those connectors. You are looking for a pair of wires labelled RESET. They may be two wires in one 2-hole connector, or they may be single connectors on the ends of two wires. Either way, THOSE are the two wires you should disconnect from this header and plug into the pins on the end of your case's fan BOX unit. In this case do not worry about connector polarity. The front panel Reset pushbutton is only a momentary-contact switch just like a doorbell button, and + and - do NOT matter. When done, close up your case, reconnect its power cord, and boot up. From now on you can use that front panel RESET pushbutton to change the speeds of your fans.

Now, this means you no longer have a Reset button to deal with freeze-ups. But there's another way when you need it. Push in and hold the regular "On / Off" button for at least five seconds to force it to shut down immediately. Release the button for a few seconds. Then do a normal push-and-release of that same button to start up again.

you're an actual diamond ahah that works, my RBG light even came back on

Thank you sooo much

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
My post above is all about the FAN speeds. Now about the ARGB LIGHTS in the fans, that's a different story. The system comes wiht a battery-powered hand-held remote control for the LIGHTS. Use that to get your lights working. That loose cable with three holes you mention is intended as an option IF your mobo has a 3-pin ARGB header on it to control ARGB lights. You do NOT have that mobo feature, so your only choice is the remote control box.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
That fan system is a stand-alone system completely separate from your mobo. No connections at all to the mobo. So BIOS Setup cannot tell you anything about the fans, nor control any of them. Likewise, third-party tools like Speedfan that use mobo info and tools cannot do anything about those fans, either.

Thanks for Best Answer.

May 19, 2019
That fan system is a stand-alone system completely separate from your mobo. No connections at all to the mobo. So BIOS Setup cannot tell you anything about the fans, nor control any of them. Likewise, third-party tools like Speedfan that use mobo info and tools cannot do anything about those fans, either.

Thank for Best Answer.

oh yeah i wondered why bios or speedfan didnt say anything, either way plugging that reset in the box like you said how worked wonders ahah and for some reason the RGB around the fans have came back on too, ive just restarted my pc 2-3 times and the fans are working on boot up soo i think its fixed aha

thank you

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Actually, I find id surprising how often that Reset Switch is re-purposed to control some added device. And I agree it is less than ideal becasue it robs you of a useful tool, although you do have an alternative as I outlined above. I remember one device that addressed this deficiency. Ylou were to re-connect it to their box for use as an unpuyt to their system. But if you held it in for 5 sec (very similar to forcing a shut-down with the On / Off button), then the new system DID force a Reset of the mobo, just as the switch was originally intended to do.

I'm a reasonable home handman, so my first inclination for this is to make my own. Recognizing that the switch in question is a simple single-pole momentary contact switch, I'd find a small pushbutton of that type, mount it in a new hole in the front, and solder in some wires from that to the device that wanted a switch attached.