[SOLVED] How do i connect multiple accessories to laptop

Aug 18, 2019
I have an ASUS Tuf Gaming Laptop and also had the leisure to buy accessories for gaming. My problem is how do I connect all these accessories to my laptop? Keyboard, mouse, rgb mousepad, external hdd and usb headset but I only have two 2.0 ports and one 3.0 port. How do I handle this? Im travelling thats why I bring all these accessories. I bought an A4Tech 4-port USB Hub 2.0 (5V 2A) but once I connected the peripherals to the USB Hub the devices connect-disconnects continuously

Solution
Your problem definitely is power limits. Any USB2 standard port can supply 5 VDC power at up to 0.5 A total for ALL the devices attached to it. That USB2 Hub you bought has no source of power beyond the laptop's USB2 port, so that is the limit for all the items you plug into it. Now, among those you listed, a keyboard and mouse normally require little power. I'm not so sure about the RGB mousepad and the USB headset. However, I know of NO external "Laptop hard drives" that can work even by themselves on a USB2 port. The all need more power than that port can supply.

A USB3 port can supply more - up to 0.9 A. For that reason, current "Laptop Hard Drives" CAN work with that power source and they usually come with their own USB3 cable to...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Your problem definitely is power limits. Any USB2 standard port can supply 5 VDC power at up to 0.5 A total for ALL the devices attached to it. That USB2 Hub you bought has no source of power beyond the laptop's USB2 port, so that is the limit for all the items you plug into it. Now, among those you listed, a keyboard and mouse normally require little power. I'm not so sure about the RGB mousepad and the USB headset. However, I know of NO external "Laptop hard drives" that can work even by themselves on a USB2 port. The all need more power than that port can supply.

A USB3 port can supply more - up to 0.9 A. For that reason, current "Laptop Hard Drives" CAN work with that power source and they usually come with their own USB3 cable to make the connection. So, of you have such a drive and cable, start by connecting only it to the one USB3 port your laptop has. That removes the load from the Hub and its host USB2 port.

THEN start checking. If your system works with all those other items on the Hub and only the drive on the USB3 port, you've got a solution. If not, the port is still overloaded. Then you would need to move at least one device to the second USB2 port. If that works with only one device removed from the Hub, your are OK. MAYBE try different items moved to the second port, one at a time, and see if you can identify the one item with the highest power requirement that MUST be the one you move. If moving only one item to the second USB2 port is not enough, then you may need to move two devices to the second port, and that would require a second Hub similar to what you have.

Reactions: extreme_noob
Solution