How do i connect my laptop to my desktop?

HotPC

Reputable
Jul 26, 2014
My brother gave me his old latop so i'm trying to hook it up to my desktop so i can let my sister use it, but i'm not sure how to do that.

I've tried the internet connection sharing but the option isn't there.

I think my internet is wifi, the cable comes from the wall, into router and then into pc.

I've read someone saying that the sharing option appeared after they bought an adapter, would that work for me?

I don't understand what you're trying to do.

Why can't your sister use the laptop the way it is?

Does the laptop not have wi-fi support? That seems unlikely, and if it does you just need to open the wi-fi section and add it (which may require a password if your network is secure... which it should be).

As for "sharing" I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish there.

ezzy_s

Honorable
Sep 1, 2014
I take it you mean you want to use the laptop, but through the desktop pc? If you just want to use a bigger screen simply swap the cables over between the screen, your pc and the laptop. If they are both have vga conections it will be as simple as that. If not you will need a different cable or adaptor.

You can create a home network to access the files on your laptop from your desktop pc but I don't think that what you are trying to achieve?

HotPC

Reputable
Jul 26, 2014

When i pick my network it isn't connecting... It's just forever loading.

HotPC

Reputable
Jul 26, 2014

I just want to use internet on laptop

HotPC

Reputable
Jul 26, 2014
If you want to use internet on the laptop then don't connect it to another computer, even if that is an option.

It should have wi-fi built in so you need to set that up to work with your wireless router.

If its broken then you should buy a USB wi-fi device but be sure its broken.

In the short term you can also try hooking the laptop directly to the router with an ETHERNET cable if you want.

Setup:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/setting-wireless-network#1TC=windows-7

HotPC

Reputable
Jul 26, 2014

It works on other PC's but not mine. The setup i already did and it is stuck on acquiring network addess