Question How do I determine if the problem is the laptop screen or the display cable ?

Uterian

Reputable
Aug 28, 2021
Hi, my laptop screen has an issue, and I'm not sure if it's related to the actual screen or the display cable. How can I determine which it is? The problem is that the screen sometimes freezes and displays visual glitches, but when I move the lid slightly, the issue gets resolved. It tends to happen when the lid is open at 90 degrees or less, and rarely occurs when it's open more than 90 degrees.

KingLoki

Great
Jul 10, 2024
Ok, I had a similar problem with an older HP laptop. When I opened it and turned it on there was a massive display upset of artifacts, flashing, going black etc. I would have to open and close the lid multiple times and do it fast before finally it settling down to a viewable lcd screen.
I removed the plastic bezel around the screen to expose the lcd raw screen, as you would do if replacing a faulty screen. I found that the wiring loom that feeds the monitor had dodgy wiring and by moving it slightly would upset the display with the problem, so I temporarily moved the wiring loom to a position where it displayed fine and taped the loom into a slightly new position. It works fine now. Not entirely sure if its your problem but shared my experience to maybe help. The movement of the screen resolving the problem points to wiring imo. Cheers.

Last edited:

Uterian

Reputable
Aug 28, 2021
Ok, I had a similar problem with an older HP laptop. When I opened it and turned it on there was a massive display upset of artifacts, flashing, going black etc. I would have to open and close the lid multiple times and do it fast before finally it settling down to a viewable lcd screen.
I removed the plastic bezel around the screen to expose the lcd raw screen, as you would do if replacing a faulty screen. I found that the wiring loom that feeds the monitor had dodgy wiring and by moving it slightly would upset the display with the problem, so I temporarily moved the wiring loom to a position where it displayed fine and taped the loom into a slightly new position. It works fine now. Not entirely sure if its your problem but shared my experience to maybe help. The movement of the screen resolving the problem points to wiring imo. Cheers.
I've also tried the same, I touched and put a little pressure on different points of the cable, but couldn't replicate the issue manually. I thought maybe its in the parts it is not touchable (inside the frame and joint points). I will try again to make sure. Thanks alot.

KingLoki

Great
Jul 10, 2024
Ok, it definately has a sweet spot for correct display supply. If the monitor was faulty it shouldn't fix up just from moving its position. Might even be the connector itself. Good Luck, Cheers

Hi, my laptop screen has an issue, and I'm not sure if it's related to the actual screen or the display cable. How can I determine which it is? The problem is that the screen sometimes freezes and displays visual glitches, but when I move the lid slightly, the issue gets resolved. It tends to happen when the lid is open at 90 degrees or less, and rarely occurs when it's open more than 90 degrees.
Simple logic says that this is either a broken cable or loose connection on one or the other ends of the display cable. You've proven this by the fact that moving the lid causes a change in behavior. Start by reseating/tightening the connectors at both ends. If that doesn't work then have a technician replace the display cable.