[SOLVED] How do I figure out why my PC shuts down when playing games?

Aug 11, 2021
Hi, I recently built myself a modest gaming PC, but some of my games cause my PC to completely shut off. It does not reboot itself, I have to press the power button to turn it back on.

It seems to be related to more graphically intense games (like when I try to play Fortnite with my little brother or Rust with some friends), but is not always consistent on when it happens. Sometimes I can play for 30 to 45 minutes, others the game has barely finished loading.

I update my drivers weekly. And have taken it to a local computer repair store and they did not report anything in their diagnostic.

System info:
Case: Corsair 4000D
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
Mobo: ASUS TUF gaming x570-pro (wi-fi)
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6G
PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 80+ Gold
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz
CPU cooler:Corsair iCUE H100i elite capellix liquid CPU Cooler

Last edited:
Solution
Go to bios and turn off xmp profil if you have one activated, set the ram on max processor memory bandwidth also check if processor specs support quad channel memory if not use dual channel memory - just two sticks .... if not those check the power supply and its usage and stuff if you spike too high when in load than you can use too much of power .... especially if its single rail psu ... if thats the problem you can sell yours like brand new and get some more cash to buy a bit better psu if needed ... you have some psu rated on linus tech tips forum so you can check it out and see what are good choice for your price point and make your life easier and no problems in future, keep in mind that you need at least 200 to 300 W more than...
Aug 11, 2021
Ok then try using only one memory stick at a time while gaming, if it freezes then take that one out and replace with the next one until either they all freeze or you find only one causes freezing.
I will try that this evening. I am curious though, will it freeze on one stick of RAM if the issue is that the PC is shutting down. I don't know a lot about trouble shooting and am trying to understand what and why I'm doing things.

Thank you

Aug 10, 2021
Go to bios and turn off xmp profil if you have one activated, set the ram on max processor memory bandwidth also check if processor specs support quad channel memory if not use dual channel memory - just two sticks .... if not those check the power supply and its usage and stuff if you spike too high when in load than you can use too much of power .... especially if its single rail psu ... if thats the problem you can sell yours like brand new and get some more cash to buy a bit better psu if needed ... you have some psu rated on linus tech tips forum so you can check it out and see what are good choice for your price point and make your life easier and no problems in future, keep in mind that you need at least 200 to 300 W more than recommended so you can be on a stable side ... if you plan on doing OC than around 500-600 W more should be enough since on some amd gpus you can almost double the power usage plus headroom to spike and breathe ... you can also under voltage your gpu and cpu and try to make it efficient as possible to save the energy consuming so you can still use it but when you ask for power when loaded you will still have eather performance drop or same problem as before .... buy you could stay at the same psu .... so try some of those see if it works for you and give us back some feedback

Reactions: N.Kelly
Solution

revodo

Proper
BANNED
Jun 10, 2021
Bad PSU would be my guess. Especially a complete shutdown like that. You said graphic intensive games tend to set it off, which would make sense if the GPU is drawing too much power from a crippled PSU.

Aug 11, 2021
I will try that this evening. I am curious though, will it freeze on one stick of RAM if the issue is that the PC is shutting down. I don't know a lot about trouble shooting and am trying to understand what and why I'm doing things.

Thank you
Ok then try using only one memory stick at a time while gaming, if it freezes then take that one out and replace with the next one until either they all freeze or you find only one causes freezing.
I did as you suggested and the stick in slot one crashed about 20 minutes into a game. Thank you.

Aug 11, 2021
Go to bios and turn off xmp profil if you have one activated, set the ram on max processor memory bandwidth also check if processor specs support quad channel memory if not use dual channel memory - just two sticks . so try some of those see if it works for you and give us back some feedback
I went to the bios and couldn't find the xmp, but found some suggestions to manually set the RAM clock speed, and did that. I couldn't find how to change the max memory bandwidth though.

Also, I checked and it turns out the Ryzen CPUs only support dual channel RAM, so I currently have only 2 sticks installed.

(From an above comment, i found that one of the sticks is faulty, and have contacted the manufacturer in hopes of replacing it.)

Thank you for all of your support. I will monitor my PSU and keep in mind what you have told me regarding possibly needing a different one if my issues persist.

Aug 10, 2021
your cpu goes up to a 3200 mhz of ram bandwidth so you can try and find and set that as your ram frequency to make most out of your ram and cpu but keep it stable

Aug 11, 2021
your cpu goes up to a 3200 mhz of ram bandwidth so you can try and find and set that as your ram frequency to make most out of your ram and cpu but keep it stable
Oh. Okay. I saw that and set it to that. And read that the FCLK should be half of the RAM speed so set it to 1600mHz.