How do I find a Core i7 920 with D0 stepping?

nmatthis

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
I'm building a new Core i7 system soon based on a Core i7 920 and I read on article about the new D0 stepping that will be available on the newest 920 and 965 Extreme CPU's. How do I go about getting one with the D0 stepping and not the original C0 stepping? On retailer sites, I've never seen anything that specifies which stepping they have. I suspect it's kind of a lotter as the older C0 stepping CPU's are placed in stock with new D0 and you probably have no idea which you'll get. Thanks.

Neal

nmatthis

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009

What is Tank Boys? Assuming it's an online retailer but couldn't find it on Google.

Neal

LOL - I think Tank Boys is to CPUs what Pep Boys are to cars. "Let Manny, Moe & Jack pep up your tired old ride, with a turbocharged CPU inside!!"

Since I am blessed with a Microcenter a few miles away, I'd take my tired old ride out to visit them and see if I could get a D0 on sale, which they seem to have monthly.

Zippy's just p!ssed cuz you're not supporting his fave green team.

I doubt any retailers are going to take the time to paw through inventory and find a D0 for you, unless you want to buy 10,000 of them, but if you have a local friendly retailer they might let you go to all that trouble. Or just wait a few more weeks and let the C0 inventory clear out.

RsFKevSki

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Pao_Revolt has them on EBay. Its the Retail Xeon W320 D0 stepping Guaranteed, server edition, essentially the same CPU, possibly better OverClocking abilities.

Trying to figure this forum out....can't put link in :( Search EBay for X3520, you'll find him. $299.99 shipped :bounce:

nmatthis

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009

Thanks.

Cool - $280 beats what Tankguys was asking a month or so ago - $320 I think for guaranteed D0. They are now down to $305. However best bet is to go to a local retailer having a sale and see if you can pick one up, that is, if the $80 savings is worth the labor :D

Edit: I see Tankguys has some selection list on how much profit you wanna give them with your D0 purchase, since the $305 price is "below" their cost. Now that's just strange - corporate begging going on here??

decoyjoe

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
I bought an i7 from Newegg 2 weeks ago and got a D0 stepping. I dont know if i got lucky or they are now selling D0. But i got one.

TRENDING THREADS