Jul 25, 2019
I know, I know, if It's fried than there's nothing I can do.

I was working on an old laptop and had to remove the heat sink and unplug the fan to service some of the parts. After putting the laptop back together, I started it up. The screen flickered, but then turned off. I opened the laptop to see what the problem could be and noticed that I forgot to plug the fan back in.
The processor was an AMD and I heard that AMD's with no cooling will fry within seconds. I cleaned the top of the processor off (there was old thermal paste all over it). When fired it up this time, the screen came on for a second then turned off. Is there anything I can do to fix this, or should I buy a new one?

Some very old AMD CPUs back in the XP processor era had no thermal protection; i.e., if you powered up a 90 watt XP2000 with no heatsink, it would be gone in 1/8th of a second...in a light puff of smoke (If you still briefly get a display, however, it might not be burned up)

Jul 25, 2019
Some very old AMD CPUs back in the XP processor era had no thermal protection; i.e., if you powered up a 90 watt XP2000 with no heatsink, it would be gone in 1/8th of a second...in a light puff of smoke (If you still briefly get a display, however, it might not be burned up)
Yes I did see some smoke come out, and the display is no longer working, thanks for your help though

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019
I did notice black marks on the top of the cpu and I've been trying for a while now. I think i'll just have to buy a new processor. The good thing is that they're not expensive, as some of these older AMD Athlons are only $10. Thanks for all the help