Question How do I fix my GPU visual rendering and performance?

Jan 13, 2024
I have a Radeon RX 580 8GB graphics card. I get constant flickering on my screen and it gets worse depending on the load of the app/game. When I use my browser for example, there's very few flickering dots and boxes, but when I load up a game, all the colour gets jagged to the point of me not being able to see what is going on. This issue started today for the first time and I haven't been able to fix it yet.

I uninstalled my GPU driver and the flickering just completely disappeared. When I installed the driver again, the flickering came back. I tried installing an older driver and even tried installing a custom driver, but nothing stops the screen flickering. My GPU seems to perform in some manner. I can get up to 100% GPU load when playing games with the issue of the video rendering being horrendous and the games sometimes crashing. I also tested with MSI Afterburner and I could change the fan speeds. When I try doing a stress test with my Radeon Software, the software and driver immediately crashes. I have also tried switching HDMI cables and tried different ports on my GPU, but the problem still persists.

I noticed that it may mostly be my GPU not wanting to render video properly anymore. In every game, most of the text and interactive buttons look completely normal, but the background rendered video is completely jagged. Would this be a software problem or hardware problem and is there anything that may fix it? The GPU is about 5 years old now, so I am hoping that it is not reaching the end of its life and that I may still fix it.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, mode, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Make and model monitor?

For the moment the most straightforward to do is to look in Reliablity History/Monitor for error codes, warnings, even informational events just before or at the time of the described problems.

Then other troubleshooting tools can be applied as applicable to further narrow down to potential culprits.