Question How do I fix stuttering with i7 2600k

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CaptainJack34

Prominent
Jul 29, 2019
About 6 months ago I got a gtx 1050ti so I installed it but I noticed in Fortnite I got constant stuttering that was really bad until the cpu got used to it. I have it set to turbo at 3.8 GHz. Then I bought Battlefield 5 and put it on low settings to see how it ran. It ran at 75 fps quite good but it had HORRIBLE stuttering. Worse than on Fortnite. I have a 144hz monitor, and I was hesitant to do this, but I capped the frames on Battlefield 5 to 60 and it stopped stuttering completely. Now on Fortnite I get very good frames so there is no way I'm capping. Can someone give me some suggestions besides capping?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Turbo may cause stutters if cpu reaches high temps and throttles, if it is then maybe turn it off. Stock coolers are mediocre and if your case doesn't have good air flow, the heat from other components such as your graphics card and hdds can increase temps as well.

Need to keep an eye on temps, like a temperature gauge in your car. Use Realtemp or Hwinfo64 to monitor cpu temp while it's working. High 80s/90s is too hot.

If you want to overclock get a better cooler. If your case can accommodate tower coolers such as Deepcool Gammaxx 400, Cryorig H7, Noctua D14 / D15 or D15s then consider overclocking.

If your ram is in the correct slots they'd be running in dual channel.

1K39hPk.png

I still recommend getting a memory kit and an SSD like I said before. I don't think messing around with overclocking will help your situation since it all comes down to you using a 5400rpm HDD, which is terrible for most thing other than storage. I would say a 500GB or 1TB SSD would be best since a 250GB SSD won't leave you much room for installing Battlefield 5. You can clone your OS or the entire drive, so you don't have to reinstall your operating system unless you want to start over fresh. I've only bought Samsung and Crucial SSDs so I know they have free cloning software, but I'm not sure about other brands.