Question How do I fix stuttering with i7 2600k

CaptainJack34

Prominent
Jul 29, 2019
About 6 months ago I got a gtx 1050ti so I installed it but I noticed in Fortnite I got constant stuttering that was really bad until the cpu got used to it. I have it set to turbo at 3.8 GHz. Then I bought Battlefield 5 and put it on low settings to see how it ran. It ran at 75 fps quite good but it had HORRIBLE stuttering. Worse than on Fortnite. I have a 144hz monitor, and I was hesitant to do this, but I capped the frames on Battlefield 5 to 60 and it stopped stuttering completely. Now on Fortnite I get very good frames so there is no way I'm capping. Can someone give me some suggestions besides capping?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Is cpu running 100% in Fortnite?

What's your memory config and what kind of drive is Windows/games on? Which Windows?

Is Hyperthreading enabled?

Any obvious programs running in the background? Like discord or browsers?

Have you thought about overclocking cpu?

CaptainJack34

Prominent
Jul 29, 2019
No, not in Fortnite. In Fortnite it runs 80 and the gpu just is steady at 70. I have a seagate running at 5400 rpm and is pretty slow. I tested the difference between hyperthreading and no hyperthreading and I get the same results. I don't have many things running in the background except the launcher itself. I'm usually cautious because I only have 8 gb of 1333mz ram. I overclocked the cpu to 4.3 ghz

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Make sure you have the last published motherboard chipset drivers, that means audio, Lan, USB, Sata, Intel management engine etc.

Make sure in windows, settings, Xbox DVR is totally disabled, as with game bar.

In nvidia control panel, make sure it's on nvidia gpu, not nvidia cpu, for physX. Change grass detail slider to medium, 3d pre-rendered frames to 1 (default is 3)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If you got 2x8gb 1333 or 1600 ram and an 250gb sata ssd, it'll make a world of difference.

Dual channel memory speed increases cpu ipc and if Windows + game was on ssd the io instructions in and out of storage, driver initiations will help smooth out those problems.

Reactions: SgtScream
I would say, based on everything you said, that your system is probably data thrashing between the slow ram and slow hard drive speed in Battlefield 5 causing it to stutter or hitch. If you only have a single memory module, that is likely the cause of the stutter. I would add another 8GB of ram to the system or buy a 16GB kit of faster ram if the motherboard bios allows it to be set to the advertised speed. If more ram doesn't help I would also buy a 7200rpm HDD or an SSD for $40-50 and clone the operating system to the new drive to see if that fixes the problem.

For older systems I usually recommend just getting DDR3 1600Mhz kits with 9-9-9-24/28 timings to cover most situations since it's usually only a $0-5 difference to lower speed. I recommend 2x4GB kits for $30-40 if the system already has 4-8GB in 2 modules or replacing it all with a 2x8GB 16GB kit for $70-80.

Do you know what your motherboard model is and whether you have 2 or 4 memory slots? If you download and run CPU-Z you can usually get all the information you will need. The Mainboard tab will tell you the motherboards brand and model. The Memory tab will tell you if your are running single or dual channel mode as well as module capacity and timings. The SPD tab will tell you the memory module information so you know know your memory module brand and model number.

You should also download a CPU temperature program like HWMonitor to see if your CPU is overheating.

Reactions: SgtScream

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
HWINFO not Hwmonitor. Just check the 'Sensors Only' box. Hwmonitor has gotten far too unreliable in far too many areas, it was written for earlier generations that were setup differently and didn't use the same components or OS as modern motherboards do.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I7-3770K. No stutters at all. Unless something is seriously bunk, you don't get stutters from the cpu, it pre-renders whatever frames it can. Stutters are more commonly from lack of vram in the gpu combined with high ram usage frames. The buffers can't sync fast enough so you get duplicate frames onscreen, basically going from 60 individual frames per second to 30 duplicate frames per second, and thats very noticeable in objects in motion as the next frame that was supposed to be put up is overwritten by the one behind it. Instead of 1-2-3-4-5... in orderly progression to 60, you get 1-1-3-3-5-5...

Stuttering that does affect cpu, is some reason that cpu frame pre-rendering is cut down severely. This can be ram, storage, even game code based issue combined with lower IPC cpus. With a game that can field 150-300fps, on a 60Hz monitor, it's stuttering is invisible. When the cpu fields 30-100fps its quite noticeable, although adaptive vsync can fix most of the discrepancy.

CaptainJack34

Prominent
Jul 29, 2019
I would say, based on everything you said, that your system is probably data thrashing between the slow ram and slow hard drive speed in Battlefield 5 causing it to stutter or hitch. If you only have a single memory module, that is likely the cause of the stutter. I would add another 8GB of ram to the system or buy a 16GB kit of faster ram if the motherboard bios allows it to be set to the advertised speed. If more ram doesn't help I would also buy a 7200rpm HDD or an SSD for $40-50 and clone the operating system to the new drive to see if that fixes the problem.

For older systems I usually recommend just getting DDR3 1600Mhz kits with 9-9-9-24/28 timings to cover most situations since it's usually only a $0-5 difference to lower speed. I recommend 2x4GB kits for $30-40 if the system already has 4-8GB in 2 modules or replacing it all with a 2x8GB 16GB kit for $70-80.

Do you know what your motherboard model is and whether you have 2 or 4 memory slots? If you download and run CPU-Z you can usually get all the information you will need. The Mainboard tab will tell you the motherboards brand and model. The Memory tab will tell you if your are running single or dual channel mode as well as module capacity and timings. The SPD tab will tell you the memory module information so you know know your memory module brand and model number.

You should also download a CPU temperature program like HWMonitor to see if your CPU is overheating.
I have an ASUS p something deluxe. It might be a p67 or p87

I have an ASUS p something deluxe. It might be a p67 or p87
You Motherboard is probably an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe.

If you look in your motherboards bios (press the delete key on boot-up) or download and run CPU-Z, you can find the brand and model of your memory modules so you can try to buy a matching module or just buy a 2x8GB kit. This 2x8GB kit from amazon will work fine and has a good price at $65 Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10B Vengeance Blue. That kit should be able to run at 9-9-9-24 timings when set in the bios, either through the xmp profile or manually setting it.

CaptainJack34

Prominent
Jul 29, 2019
You Motherboard is probably an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe.

If you look in your motherboards bios (press the delete key on boot-up) or download and run CPU-Z, you can find the brand and model of your memory modules so you can try to buy a matching module or just buy a 2x8GB kit. This 2x8GB kit from amazon will work fine and has a good price at $65 Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10B Vengeance Blue. That kit should be able to run at 9-9-9-24 timings when set in the bios, either through the xmp profile or manually setting it.
yeah that is what it is. I try to overclock but sometimes it says oc failed and I have to go into the bios and switch it down. I try to comprimise with 4.1 ghz but I don't know which setting I should do. x.m.p. , AUTO. Everytime I go in the box on x.m.p. by all cores and type in 4.1 in doesn't save and goes to auto. And also Asus EZ mode I'm not sure what it's changing. And that's just the troubles with me trying to oc the cpu.

CaptainJack34

Prominent
Jul 29, 2019
I7-3770K. No stutters at all. Unless something is seriously bunk, you don't get stutters from the cpu, it pre-renders whatever frames it can. Stutters are more commonly from lack of vram in the gpu combined with high ram usage frames. The buffers can't sync fast enough so you get duplicate frames onscreen, basically going from 60 individual frames per second to 30 duplicate frames per second, and thats very noticeable in objects in motion as the next frame that was supposed to be put up is overwritten by the one behind it. Instead of 1-2-3-4-5... in orderly progression to 60, you get 1-1-3-3-5-5...

Stuttering that does affect cpu, is some reason that cpu frame pre-rendering is cut down severely. This can be ram, storage, even game code based issue combined with lower IPC cpus. With a game that can field 150-300fps, on a 60Hz monitor, it's stuttering is invisible. When the cpu fields 30-100fps its quite noticeable, although adaptive vsync can fix most of the discrepancy.
I have a 144hz free sync gsync compatible monitor. Should I turn on g sync?

CaptainJack34

Prominent
Jul 29, 2019
Is cpu running 100% in Fortnite?

What's your memory config and what kind of drive is Windows/games on? Which Windows?

Is Hyperthreading enabled?

Any obvious programs running in the background? Like discord or browsers?

Have you thought about overclocking cpu?
Should I turn on multi core threading in game?