How do I get "Administrator Privileges"?

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

There are things that I cannot uninstall from my system. One in
particular is P2P Networking(Kazaa Media Desktop).

I get the following pop-up:
"Sorry, you do not have enough access rights for this operation"
"Please log on with administrator privileges and repeat uninstallation
process"

Can anyone tell me how to log on with "adminsistrator priviledges", so
I can start uninstalling unneeded apps?
Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

<Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
> There are things that I cannot uninstall from my system. One in
> particular is P2P Networking(Kazaa Media Desktop).
>
> I get the following pop-up:
> "Sorry, you do not have enough access rights for this operation"
> "Please log on with administrator privileges and repeat uninstallation
> process"
>
> Can anyone tell me how to log on with "adminsistrator priviledges", so
> I can start uninstalling unneeded apps?
> Thanks a lot.

Windows 9x/Me doesn't have user privileges (there is no administrator). Most likely
you have a policy in place. Run REGEDIT and remove the following two keys. If the
policy is such that it won't allow you run REGEDIT, boot to real-mode DOS from floppy
or CD-ROM and merge the following REG file. Copy/paste the text into Notepad and save
as C:\NOPOLICY.REG. Use the command: REGEDIT /S C:\NOPOLICY.REG to merge the file from
DOS.

REGEDIT4
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies]

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

Another response addressed the Windows 95/98/ME. If you are running Win NT,
2000, or XP, log in as "Administrator" using whatever password has been
assigned. If you do not know the administrator password, download Pettar
Nordahl's very good password cracker and make up either a bootable CD or
bootable floppy. Boot up, and you'll see Linux. Dont' worry. Follow Nordahl's
instructions, and remove the administrator password entirely. Then log in as
administrator and do as you wish. If you are using a corporate computer
(unlikely), be prepared for the wrath of the corporate I.T. types... Ben Myers

On 17 Jan 2005 10:17:24 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:

>There are things that I cannot uninstall from my system. One in
>particular is P2P Networking(Kazaa Media Desktop).
>
>I get the following pop-up:
>"Sorry, you do not have enough access rights for this operation"
>"Please log on with administrator privileges and repeat uninstallation
>process"
>
>Can anyone tell me how to log on with "adminsistrator priviledges", so
>I can start uninstalling unneeded apps?
>Thanks a lot.
>
>Darren Harris
>Staten Island, New York.

dos

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

ask whoevers computer you are trying to hack.

TheBeat999 wrote:
> <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
> > There are things that I cannot uninstall from my system. One in
> > particular is P2P Networking(Kazaa Media Desktop).
> >
> > I get the following pop-up:
> > "Sorry, you do not have enough access rights for this operation"
> > "Please log on with administrator privileges and repeat
uninstallation
> > process"
> >
> > Can anyone tell me how to log on with "adminsistrator priviledges",
so
> > I can start uninstalling unneeded apps?
> > Thanks a lot.
>
> Windows 9x/Me doesn't have user privileges (there is no
administrator). Most likely
> you have a policy in place. Run REGEDIT and remove the following two
keys. If the
> policy is such that it won't allow you run REGEDIT, boot to real-mode
DOS from floppy
> or CD-ROM and merge the following REG file. Copy/paste the text into
Notepad and save
> as C:\NOPOLICY.REG. Use the command: REGEDIT /S C:\NOPOLICY.REG to
merge the file from
> DOS.
>
> REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies]

Okay, I only get
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings"

Any other ideas?

I actually installed KAZAA over a year ago, and attempted to uninstall
it after it made my (WindowsME)system more unstable than usual.

Right now I'm on the verge of just saving important folders and wiping
the hard drive clean. But since it is a Compaq, it's going to be hell
installing an OS on it.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

doS wrote:
> ask whoevers computer you are trying to hack.
Moron...

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Searcher7@mail.con2.com writes:

> I actually installed KAZAA over a year ago, and attempted to uninstall
> it after it made my (WindowsME)system more unstable than usual.

And that's really saying something!

> Right now I'm on the verge of just saving important folders and wiping
> the hard drive clean. But since it is a Compaq, it's going to be hell
> installing an OS on it.

It'll be well worth your while though. If it's fast enough with more
than 256MB of memory, get Win2000 or XP on it. If not, consider
getting your hands on a copy of Win98 SE. Windows ME is a horribly
unstable piece of poo, unfortunately.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

The pc is a Compaq Deskpro EP/SB Series, 350Mhz Pentium 2.

I do have a copy of Windows98(SE), but it is an OEM from a Dell
machine. So that would make it even more difficult to put on the
Compaq.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> writes:

> Why would you recommend a 5 year old, virtually unsupported OS (2000) when
> XP is vastly superior, particularly with device driver support.

I'm not sure why he recomened that over XP, but I have to say Win2k is
hardly "virtually unsupported." And it's very stable. It'll be
supported for longer than 98/ME.

XP is the better recommendation, I'll agree. Hardware requirements on
it aren't that steeper, though it is a little more memory hungry. The
whole Activation thing turned off a lot of folks though, but people
seem to be getting over that.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Noel Paton wrote:
> <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
> > The pc is a Compaq Deskpro EP/SB Series, 350Mhz Pentium 2.
> >
> > I do have a copy of Windows98(SE), but it is an OEM from a Dell
> > machine. So that would make it even more difficult to put on the
> > Compaq.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Darren Harris
> > Staten Island, New York.
>
> Not only more difficult - but also illegal!

If the computer is mine, and the software(OS) is mine, then it is *not*
illegal.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> writes:
> Me is/was for thinkers, XP is for brain dead "I just want to turn it
> on' monkey people.

LMAO... that's a good one. Are you actually serious, of just trying
to get a rise here?

If by "thinkers" you mean people that are constantly challenged with
infuriating instability in a heinously cobbled together mix of a
16-bit DOS world with a 32-bit wannabe GUI on top of it, then yeah Win
ME was for "thinkers." LOL.

To appreciate XP, you need to turn the clock back a few years and find
out what Windows NT and Windows 2000 were all about. Based on what's
spewing forth from your keyboard, I'm guessing you haven't any
experience with either of these 32-bit operating systems, much less
other OS's such as UNIX.

Just because something crashes a lot and is unstable doesn't mean it's
got a mystical complex aura that makes it's users "thinkers." What
I'm usually thinking when I have to debug an ME computer is: "this
poor bastard should've been on NT or 2k."

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

jad

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

every conjecture is wrong! been using it since the day it was
born....never had problems...used it for years in a commercial
environment, as I didn't need at the time, a NTFS file system. Things
have changed in that respect, so now I am one of the monkey people,
not by choice. Me is a decent OS, if you know what your doing. You
assume allot, in this case your making an ass out of.... just
yourself.

Been a xinux installer since 1989, then went on a 12 step program to
rid myself of that plague. Unix? no... never had the 'need'.

Tom Scales wrote:
> <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Noel Paton wrote:
> >> <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message

> >> Not only more difficult - but also illegal!
> >
> > If the computer is mine, and the software(OS) is mine, then it is
*not*
> > illegal.
> >
> > Darren Harris
> > Staten Island, New York.
> >

> Uh, yes it is. Read your license agreement. The Dell OEM OS stays
with the
> Dell machine and is not transferable

I don't have to. I know enough to know what is enforceable and what
isn't as far as the law is concerned.

Just because Dell's license agreement says something, doesn't make it
illegal.

If you were to buy a new car, and wanted the wheels from your first put
on your new one, would it be illegal just because the old car's
paperwork said the wheels are not to be used on any other vehicle?

It may invalidate the warrantee, but that is a different issue.

***Dell's goal obviously is to inconvenience the consumer who buys
another brand of pc. That is the reason for difficulty in installing
the Dell version of Windows on a Gateway, Compaq, ect. But I've never
had a problem putting the same OS on another one of my Dell PCs.
Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

<Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
> The pc is a Compaq Deskpro EP/SB Series, 350Mhz Pentium 2.
>
> I do have a copy of Windows98(SE), but it is an OEM from a Dell
> machine. So that would make it even more difficult to put on the
> Compaq.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Darren Harris
> Staten Island, New York.

Not only more difficult - but also illegal!

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Tom Scales wrote:
> <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Tom Scales wrote:
> >> <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message

Dell

> > *not*

> >> Uh, yes it is. Read your license agreement. The Dell OEM OS stays
> > with the
> >> Dell machine and is not transferable
> >
> > I don't have to. I know enough to know what is enforceable and what
> > isn't as far as the law is concerned.
> >
> > Just because Dell's license agreement says something, doesn't make
it
> > illegal.
> >
> > If you were to buy a new car, and wanted the wheels from your first
put
> > on your new one, would it be illegal just because the old car's
> > paperwork said the wheels are not to be used on any other vehicle?
> >
> > It may invalidate the warrantee, but that is a different issue.
> >
> > ***Dell's goal obviously is to inconvenience the consumer who buys
> > another brand of pc. That is the reason for difficulty in
installing
> > the Dell version of Windows on a Gateway, Compaq, ect. But I've
never
> > had a problem putting the same OS on another one of my Dell PCs.
> > Darren Harris
> > Staten Island, New York.
> >

> Are you an attorney? I think not.
>
> The license is absolutely enforceable. It's not even particularly
unusual.

And I'm sure you aren't an attorney either, because you are still
wrong.

But none of this has anything to do with the original post anyway. So
let's just continue to disagree.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

<Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message

> Tom Scales wrote:
>> <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message

>> > If the computer is mine, and the software(OS) is mine, then it is
> *not*
>> > illegal.
>> >
>> > Darren Harris
>> > Staten Island, New York.
>> >

>> Uh, yes it is. Read your license agreement. The Dell OEM OS stays
> with the
>> Dell machine and is not transferable
>
> I don't have to. I know enough to know what is enforceable and what
> isn't as far as the law is concerned.
>
> Just because Dell's license agreement says something, doesn't make it
> illegal.
>
> If you were to buy a new car, and wanted the wheels from your first put
> on your new one, would it be illegal just because the old car's
> paperwork said the wheels are not to be used on any other vehicle?
>
> It may invalidate the warrantee, but that is a different issue.
>
> ***Dell's goal obviously is to inconvenience the consumer who buys
> another brand of pc. That is the reason for difficulty in installing
> the Dell version of Windows on a Gateway, Compaq, ect. But I've never
> had a problem putting the same OS on another one of my Dell PCs.
> Darren Harris
> Staten Island, New York.

Are you an attorney? I think not.

The license is absolutely enforceable. It's not even particularly unusual.

Tom

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

In article <1107134871.837612.7370@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
Searcher7@mail.con2.com writes

>Tom Scales wrote:
>> <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message

>> > If the computer is mine, and the software(OS) is mine, then it is
>*not*
>> > illegal.
>> >
>> > Darren Harris
>> > Staten Island, New York.
>> >

>> Uh, yes it is. Read your license agreement. The Dell OEM OS stays
>with the
>> Dell machine and is not transferable
>
>I don't have to. I know enough to know what is enforceable and what
>isn't as far as the law is concerned.
>
>Just because Dell's license agreement says something, doesn't make it
>illegal.
>
>If you were to buy a new car, and wanted the wheels from your first put
>on your new one, would it be illegal just because the old car's
>paperwork said the wheels are not to be used on any other vehicle?
>
>It may invalidate the warrantee, but that is a different issue.
>
>***Dell's goal obviously is to inconvenience the consumer who buys
>another brand of pc. That is the reason for difficulty in installing
>the Dell version of Windows on a Gateway, Compaq, ect. But I've never
>had a problem putting the same OS on another one of my Dell PCs.
>Darren Harris
>Staten Island, New York.

I hesitate to join in this slanging match. However.

You have bought a licence, which has certain conditions attached to it.
Those conditions are enforceable at law under most jurisdictions.

If you buy the freehold on a house, you are almost certain to buy it
with covenants attached. These may say, for arguments sake, that you
cannot erect an advertising hoarding on the land. The covenant will
certainly say that as a condition of sale that these restrictions will
apply to all heirs, successors and other purchasers. If you then build a
hoarding and one of the heirs or successors of the person or company who
originally sold the house and land and imposed the covenant cares to go
to law they will win, unless the covenant can be shown to be grossly
unreasonable.

In the same way Microsoft will have imposed certain conditions on Dell,
over and above those conditions in a retail licence, in granting them a
licence to sell PC's with Windows installed. In exchange the licence
would have been considerably cheaper than the cost of a retail licence,
and Dell will have passed some of that saving onto yourself when you
bought the Dell machine. The licence will require Dell to impose the
conditions on the purchaser of the PC. At law these conditions are
enforceable.

Whether Microsoft or Dell would actually come after you is another
matter, it would depend upon them finding out and whether you were worth
suing. So it might be better to keep schtoom as to what you do in the
privacy of your own home. If I were you and I was in business, then I
would look over my shoulder, from time to time.
--
Nicholas David Richards -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

> Tom Scales wrote:
>> <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
> >

>> Are you an attorney? I think not.
>>
>> The license is absolutely enforceable. It's not even particularly
> unusual.
>
> And I'm sure you aren't an attorney either, because you are still
> wrong.
>
> But none of this has anything to do with the original post anyway. So
> let's just continue to disagree.
>
> Darren Harris
> Staten Island, New York.

No, I'm not an attorney. I have, however, written over 200 software
contracts, all in excess of $5m. You clearly don't understand software
contract law.

If you're going to steal it, then I'd stop posting my full name and city.
MS might want to have some fun.

And they WOULD win.

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

> No, I'm not an attorney. I have, however, written over 200 software
> contracts, all in excess of $5m. You clearly don't understand
software
> contract law.

I don't have to.

> If you're going to steal it, then I'd stop posting my full name and
city.
> MS might want to have some fun.
>
> And they WOULD win.

No they wouldn't.

I have no idea why you keep turning this thread into something it is
not.

I have stolen nothing, and have already stated that the copy of the
(unregistered)window 98(SE) software we are talking about belongs to
me.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

Searcher7@mail.con2.com writes:
> I have stolen nothing, and have already stated that the copy of the
> (unregistered)window 98(SE) software we are talking about belongs to
> me.

That's the point--no, no it doesn't "belong to you." You are a
licensee. You bought the computer from dell, and with it came
installed Microsoft software for which you were granted and accepted a
restricted license to that software. One of the restrictions of OEM
distributions of Windows is that it can't be legally used on other
computers. Have you never read a license agreement? Or even
what's on that CD label--it may even be on there.

So, he's absolutely right, that you cannot legally put your Dell OEM
copy of win98 on a non-Dell computer. Even if it's technically
possible, it's still a breach of copyright.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

> Searcher7@mail.con2.com writes:
>> I have stolen nothing, and have already stated that the copy of the
>> (unregistered)window 98(SE) software we are talking about belongs to
>> me.
>
> That's the point--no, no it doesn't "belong to you." You are a
> licensee. You bought the computer from dell, and with it came
> installed Microsoft software for which you were granted and accepted a
> restricted license to that software. One of the restrictions of OEM
> distributions of Windows is that it can't be legally used on other
> computers. Have you never read a license agreement? Or even
> what's on that CD label--it may even be on there.
>
> So, he's absolutely right, that you cannot legally put your Dell OEM
> copy of win98 on a non-Dell computer. Even if it's technically
> possible, it's still a breach of copyright.
>
> Best Regards,
> --
> Todd H.
> http://www.toddh.net/

We're wasting our breath. He's convinced himself it is Ok because it is
'his' copy.

It's not. He doesn't care. He'll rationalize it forever.

Tom

Todd H. wrote:
> Searcher7@mail.con2.com writes:
> > I have stolen nothing, and have already stated that the copy of the
> > (unregistered)window 98(SE) software we are talking about belongs
> > me.
>
> That's the point--no, no it doesn't "belong to you." You are a
> licensee. You bought the computer from dell, and with it came
> installed Microsoft software for which you were granted and accepted
> restricted license to that software. One of the restrictions of
OEM
> distributions of Windows is that it can't be legally used on other
> computers. Have you never read a license agreement? Or even
> what's on that CD label--it may even be on there.

When I said it belongs to me, it is understood(by everyone else) what
is meant. Only I have the right to use it.

> So, he's absolutely right, that you cannot legally put your Dell OEM
> copy of win98 on a non-Dell computer. Even if it's technically
> possible, it's still a breach of copyright.

And would you mind posting the exact wording of what you have been
referring to?

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

> We're wasting our breath. He's convinced himself it is Ok because it
is
> 'his' copy.
>
> It's not. He doesn't care. He'll rationalize it forever.

And again, we will continmue to disagree, so you are correct. You have
been wasting your breath. :)

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

Searcher7@mail.con2.com writes:

> > We're wasting our breath. He's convinced himself it is Ok because it
> is
> > 'his' copy.
> >
> > It's not. He doesn't care. He'll rationalize it forever.
>
> And again, we will continmue to disagree, so you are correct. You have
> been wasting your breath. :)

"Don't bother me with the facts--I've made up my mind."

LOL.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/