[SOLVED] How do I get my HP Elitebook 840 G2 blazing fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2017
I got an HP Elitebook 840 G2 mid-2020; while checking out its hardware, I didn't place the RAM back appropriately. Kept getting BSODs for a while I decided to do a clean install; went well, until I got another after the installation was done, and I realised the issue was HW, not SW!
I replaced it and installed my programmes; being an Android developer coming from a 4 GB RAM HP Elitebook 8440p, I easily appreciated the build speed on my new laptop -- 15 minutes-1 hour got down do a few seconds up to 4 minutes tops.
Besides my apps, I also updated the BIOS [to latest version available officially], and installed other apps from the official site HP EliteBook 840 G2 Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR) Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support.
Things went well, and I got too careful not to install SW where portable options were available, to avoid cluttering the registry, and HDD space.
Recently, I became much too engaged with coding, I opt to add more RAM to make it 16 GB, so I could run the Android emulator besides my Opera browser, and maybe a video or audio now and then, all running simultaneously with dual-channel to my side. But adding more RAM did not really give me much improvement, and that is what clinched it - in my opinion - to something quite besides RAM size -- my laggy PC is not slow because of RAM size, or HDD instead of SSD, but a non-OEM install of Windows 10!
I had to revert to Windows 10 earlier today, after trying out Windows 11 for 29 days without advantages -- besides fancy UI, which meant more slowness.

Specs::
HP Elitebook 840 G2 Notebook PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support
  • CPU/Processor: 5th Generation Intel Core i5-5200U 2.2 GHz (max turbo frequency 2.7-GHz), 3 MB L3 cache, 15W
  • RAM: 16 GB DDR3L SDRAM (1600 MHz) [memtest86 reported OK when tested at upgrade]
  • HDD: 1 TB [Hard Disk Sentinel reports 100% Health]
  • GPU: AMD Radeon R7 M260X
  • Windows Specifications
Edition Windows 10 Pro​
Version 20H2​
Installed on ‎09/‎08/‎2020​
OS build 19042.1415​
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0​

Trivia:
I get slow startup; disabling most [3rd-party] start-up programmes did not improve speed.​
Synaptics Pointing Device SW responsible for touchpad gestures turns off every now and then, and I have to restart or log out and back in to get it.​
Windows explorer starts late (say, 30 secs after pressing Win + E); it sometimes restarts, at which point I have to remember open Windows all over.​
PC hangs sometimes, when GPU driver decides to play I'm tired, at which point media players (VLC & mpv) turn blank white, and I have to stop playback or restart to continue playback with video.​
I use Driver Booster to update drivers to latest versions.​
I update Windows now and then.​
I have to follow up my clicks with another reminder click on taskbar (when expanding battery, Wi-Fi,...) or via Start (when starting apps).​
I am not ready to install Linux at this moment due to work on projects.​
I heard about a method used to tweak non-OEM installs [requiring reinstallation of user's 3rd-party apps] to work fast -- I mean, I am using a 5th generation Intel CPU, and am faster than Windows Explorer when navigating directories -- but I have not been so lucky to find it on the net.​

Finally... lengthy as my write-up seems, I hope to get at least a reader who suggests successful solution(s). Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
I had been advised, and I'm looking; I find it hard to believe an SSD would be the magic key to Flash lightning speed.
BELIEVE it !!!!!
Laptop hard drives are built to conserve battery power, and not for performance.
You will be amazed at what a difference it makes.

Buy a samsung replacement ssd of suitable size and use the Samsung ssd migration app to copy your C drive to the ssd.
Download the instructions and app here:
.................my laggy PC is not slow because of RAM size, or HDD instead of SSD, but a non-OEM install of Windows 10..........................I use Driver Booster to update drivers to latest versions.

You say your install is "non-OEM".

What is it? "Retail"?? "Enterprise"?

It's an HP machine, but not an OEM installation?

Most here would frown at the mention of Driver Booster or any similar application.

Jun 6, 2017
You say your install is "non-OEM".

What is it? "Retail"?? "Enterprise"?
I think Retail; slmgr says Windows(R) Operating System, RETAIL Channel

It's an HP machine, but not an OEM installation?
It's not new, per se

Most here would frown at the mention of Driver Booster or any similar application.
I thought because it's a clean install, most drivers would be generic, and I wasn't optimistic about getting them via WU

Jun 6, 2017
Normal tactic on a clean install would be to use Windows drivers and check performance. If then NOT happy, maybe get other drivers DIRECT from hardware manufacturer, NOT through Driver Booster.
Do you mean Windows Update by "...Windows drivers"?
Any specific tool(s) to check performance? I saw mention of 48 hours after clean install for indexing and whatnot somewhere.

Do you mean Windows Update by "...Windows drivers"?
Any specific tool(s) to check performance? I saw mention of 48 hours after clean install for indexing and whatnot somewhere.

A "clean install" will include "Windows drivers" by definition.

Windows Update will attempt to provide newer drivers as they become available in the future....you have some control over that. I try to delay Windows Update as much as possible and always have a backup image to restore my boot drive to an earlier condition if Windows Update fouls me up. It rarely does, but it can happen. Microsoft has got most of the kinks out of Windows Update in my experience.

There are all sorts of benchmarking and testing applications available to you online. As well as applications to keep track of stuff like CPU temps, fans speeds, etc.

If your hardware all works as you expect it to, I wouldn't get excited about always having latest drivers. Some people are obsessed with the newest drivers.

You say you want your machine "blazing fast". I know nothing about HP Elitebooks, so I don't know what realistic expectations might be. Your expectations and hopes may be unrealistic??

Jun 6, 2017
You say you want your machine "blazing fast". I know nothing about HP Elitebooks, so I don't know what realistic expectations might be. Your expectations and hopes may be unrealistic??
I don't expect to open 3 - 5 games, Photoshop, Chrome,... all at once.
1-2 minutes of boot to login; ready to run programs between 4-5 should be OK.
I do not like to wait 3-5 minutes for an app to open [maybe finish loading in 8], after 3 minutes of boot + 7 more loading.

Jun 6, 2017
A "clean install" will include "Windows drivers" by definition.
Right. The generics, as I fancy calling them :giggle:

Windows Update will attempt to provide newer drivers as they become available in the future....you have some control over that. I try to delay Windows Update as much as possible and always have a backup image to restore my boot drive to an earlier condition if Windows Update fouls me up. It rarely does, but it can happen. Microsoft has got most of the kinks out of Windows Update in my experience.
Is it wise to ignore WU if I install drivers directly from vendor site after a clean install?

There are all sorts of benchmarking and testing applications available to you online. As well as applications to keep track of stuff like CPU temps, fans speeds, etc.
I am not well-acquainted with those; just recently got introduced to Hard Disk Sentinel

If your hardware all works as you expect it to, I wouldn't get excited about always having latest drivers. Some people are obsessed with the newest drivers.
I usually ignore them for months on end, just to binge update

I do not like to wait 3-5 minutes for an app to open [maybe finish loading in 8], after 3 minutes of boot + 7 more loading.

I have NO idea if that is normal because I know nothing about your hardware

If it was faster at some earlier point in time but is a lot slower now, my first impulse would be to restore the machine to the state it was in at that earlier point in time. That's doable by image restoration that you may not have in place. So you would have to troubleshoot the current situation...possible failing hardware, viruses, unknown processes or applications running in the background, etc.

I had been advised, and I'm looking; I find it hard to believe an SSD would be the magic key to Flash lightning speed.
BELIEVE it !!!!!
Laptop hard drives are built to conserve battery power, and not for performance.

Buy a samsung replacement ssd of suitable size and use the Samsung ssd migration app to copy your C drive to the ssd.

Solution
Jun 6, 2017
BELIEVE it !!!!!

Sure. Thanks!

Jun 6, 2017
I have NO idea if that is normal because I know nothing about your hardware
What details do you need?

...possible failing hardware, viruses, unknown processes or applications running in the background, etc.
HDD seems OK; HD Sentinel reports so, no warning sounds, not filled up.
memtest86+ reported RAMs OK
Not sure about CPU & GPU
Battery ace.
Network adapters don't seem problematic
I can't point at the troublesome component

I am using Kaspersky; nothing out of the ordinary.
I checked via Task Manager, and nothing seems out-of-place.
Services, I'm not sure about.

An SSD will certainly help some operations.......those heavily affected by disk reads and writes.

However....your earlier posts imply that things have slowed down recently, possibly because of non-OEM Windows.

And apparently your current slow hard drive is no slower than it used to be.

I'd probably get the SSD and re-evaluate with the understanding that there may be other things going on that you can worry about later if necessary.

Very well. I see a plan getting drawn; I'll get an SSD to evaluate the speed with it, and without. Meanwhile, should I make in-place update to Windows 21H2 :oops: or ignore it for the next 1 or 2 years?

When you get the SSD, how do you intend to get Windows onto it?

A clean install, leaving you with Windows ONLY?

A transfer of the entire old system to the new SSD through cloning or imaging?

Or?

I'm on 21H2 without problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.