[SOLVED] How do I get rid of 10 degree CPU temperature cycles/spikes?

Mar 24, 2020
Hi all, I have just completed a new build and am seeing my temperature at idle continually cycle between 38 and 51 degrees. It jumps from around 38 up to around 51 and then over the course of a few seconds drops back down to around 38 in increments and then repeats. The temperature curve has a sawtooth profile.

Build:

No OC, Ryzen 7 3800x, ASUS STRIX Gaming x570-E MoBo, NZXT X73 AIO cooler.

I've played around with the cooling profiles for both the X73 fans and the pump speed but nothing seems to stop the cycling. I used the pre-applied thermal paste on the X73 so am also planning on re-applying.

Interestingly I don't see the behaviour in the BIOS where the temp stays constant at 41. Could the sawtooth profile have something to do with boosting? And if so how can I fix it?

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks.

Solution
Hi all, I have just completed a new build and am seeing my temperature at idle continually cycle between 38 and 51 degrees. It jumps from around 38 up to around 51 and then over the course of a few seconds drops back down to around 38 in increments and then repeats. The temperature curve has a sawtooth profile.

Build:

I've played around with the cooling profiles for both the X73 fans and the pump speed but nothing seems to stop the cycling. I used the pre-applied thermal paste on the X73 so am also planning on re-applying.

Interestingly I don't see the behaviour in the BIOS where the temp stays constant at 41. Could the sawtooth profile have something to...

Build:

Interestingly I don't see the behaviour in the BIOS where the temp stays constant at 41. Could the sawtooth profile have something to do with boosting? And if so how can I fix it?

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks.
Yes, boost is reacting to software (including OS) requirements. Changes are too fast for cooler to react and Ryzen is pretty fast to react to changes.
If you use Ryzen power plan in windows, set Minimum processor value to about 5% and check what's running in the background.

Solution
What CountMike said, in BIOS theres no load on the CPU, thats why your temps stay static, once you enter Windows all the crappy background process that Windows and other 3rd party software runs is what makes your CPU go up and down in seconds.

Thats normal behavior for Ryzen, don't expect the flat temp you would get from intel at idle, AMD just don't work like that.

If your Max temps are right i wouldn't worry at all.