Question How do I move windows 10 to my ssd?

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I just had a PC built, and I haven't even used it yet but i just noticed that Windows was installed on my HDD instead of my SSD. I was wondering if I could just transfer windows 10 to my ssd and what files I need to transfer.
The only files on my Hdd now are delivery optimization, owner, program files, and windows apps and it's only taking up 823 mb.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Your SSD likely came with its own cloning utility, and you could clone your HDD over to it.

That being said, if you don't have tons of effort already put in to configuring the PC as it is I would suggest reconfiguring it with the SSD as the main drive, keeping the HDD unplugged for the moment, and:

a) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Download Win10 ISO File

b) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Create a Bootable USB Drive

Afterward you can plug in what had been your system drive and it will be recognized as a new secondary drive and assigned a letter.

You would have to reinstall your programs and re-create your account, but in my opinion, it's no more work at the early stages to do that and know that you have a completely clean Windows 10 baseline that was installed directly to that system SSD.

I will say, unequivocally, that the previous poster is incorrect. Whether one is using two SSDs, two HDDs, or those technologies in combination it is entirely possible to clone the existing system disc to what will be its replacement and have Windows 10 work perfectly well. I've done just that in the past. I still prefer to start fresh, though, if one isn't dealing with a system with years of user data and lots of installed programs already on it. The circumstance dictates which course I recommend and take based upon the total work likely to be involved.

USAFRet

Titan
I just had a PC built, and I haven't even used it yet but i just noticed that Windows was installed on my HDD instead of my SSD. I was wondering if I could just transfer windows 10 to my ssd and what files I need to transfer.
The only files on my Hdd now are delivery optimization, owner, program files, and windows apps and it's only taking up 823 mb.
There are several cloning tools available, we can go into detail if you wish. They usually work.

But if this a brand new PC that you've never run yet....I'd just do a new install on the SSD.

You've turned this system on, and the OS states that it is activated?

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Well how would I just do a new install on the ssd when I dont have the installation on a flash drive or anything? It was installed for me, I just need to activate it.

I have a 500gb Samsung 860evo

USAFRet

Titan
Well how would I just do a new install on the ssd when I dont have the installation on a flash drive or anything? It was installed for me, I just need to activate it.

I have a 500gb Samsung 860evo
Get the system running and activated.
Then, a clean install on the SSD. Being the same system, it will again be activated.

Given a 500GB 860 EVO, I would question the technical competence of a shop that chose to do the OS install on the HDD rather than the SSD.