[SOLVED] How do I properly wipe my HDD and SSD for my new motherboard installation?

idan_k

Reputable
Dec 28, 2017
I am upgrading my pc from an intel cpu to a Ryzen cpu and have to also put in a new motherboard. I have read that when you put a new motherboard in you should reinstall windows. However every time I have fresh wiped my hard drive and ssd in the Windows settings it always has windows already reinstalled waiting for setup when the computer is done wiping everything. How do I wipe my hard drives to prevent windows from reinstalling itself afterwards so I can boot my pc off of a usb with windows on it?

Solution
Just perform a clean install of Windows 10 using USB flash drive media installation.
During setup, when you see 'Which type of installation do you want?', select 'Custom' option to make sure you’re performing a clean install and not an upgrade install.
Delete all the partitions listed on the drive until you see one unallocated space entry.

All data on the disk will be wiped out performing the above steps...so make sure you have a backup of anything you need from the drive.

Make sure only the disk you are installing Windows is connected to the system.. to avoid deleting content from the wrong drive or preventing Windows from installing BOOT files on the wrong drive.
When you are done with Windows setup, then you could any other drives.

idan_k

Reputable
Dec 28, 2017
I am upgrading my cpu to Ryzen and installing a new motherboard. I have read that you should fresh wipe your hard drives and reinstall windows to make sure there are no errors. Can I just install the new motherboard and plug my hard drive in and then do a fresh start to wipe everything and reinstall windows? Or do I have to do that before installing the motherboard?

USAFRet

Titan
I am upgrading my cpu to Ryzen and installing a new motherboard. I have read that you should fresh wipe your hard drives and reinstall windows to make sure there are no errors. Can I just install the new motherboard and plug my hard drive in and then do a fresh start to wipe everything and reinstall windows? Or do I have to do that before installing the motherboard?
The fresh OS install happens when the new Ryzen system is all assembled.
You don't have to wipe the drive before.

Also:
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Just perform a clean install of Windows 10 using USB flash drive media installation.
During setup, when you see 'Which type of installation do you want?', select 'Custom' option to make sure you’re performing a clean install and not an upgrade install.
Delete all the partitions listed on the drive until you see one unallocated space entry.

All data on the disk will be wiped out performing the above steps...so make sure you have a backup of anything you need from the drive.

Make sure only the disk you are installing Windows is connected to the system.. to avoid deleting content from the wrong drive or preventing Windows from installing BOOT files on the wrong drive.

Solution

idan_k

Reputable
Dec 28, 2017

Do I do all this when I have the new motherboard installed and have my hard drive plugged in or do I do it on the old motherboard and then move the hard drive to the new motherboard after it has been wiped and windows reinstalled?

kanewolf

Titan
Do I do all this when I have the new motherboard installed and have my hard drive plugged in or do I do it on the old motherboard and then move the hard drive to the new motherboard after it has been wiped and windows reinstalled?
Assuming you want the SSD to be your boot drive, you would connect JUST the SSD to the new motherboard and follow the clean OS install article I posted.
Then install motherboard drivers, graphics drivers and windows updates. Then power down and connect the HDD. You can then use disk management to wipe the secondary disk.

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
Assuming you want the SSD to be your boot drive, you would connect JUST the SSD to the new motherboard and follow the clean OS install article I posted.

Correct.

Then install motherboard drivers, graphics drivers and windows updates. Then power down and connect the HDD.

Also correct

You can then use disk management to wipe the secondary disk.

The OP would probably want to delete all the partitions on the original C:/drive first using Windows 10 setup. If this isn't done first then the OP will not be able to maximize storage space! The OP could then reboot the computer and then go into disk management- right clicking on the newly unformatted drive and selecting format, while remembering to select a drive letter if it isn't already selected. This is exactly what I did to prepare for CyberPunk 2077.

USAFRet

Titan
The OP would probably want to delete all the partitions on the original C:/drive first using Windows 10 setup. If this isn't done first then the OP will not be able to maximize storage space! The OP could then reboot the computer and then go into disk management- right clicking on the newly unformatted drive and selecting format, while remembering to select a drive letter if it isn't already selected. This is exactly what I did to prepare for CyberPunk 2077.
That can happen during the OS install.
No need to do it before.
This, on the SSD.

The HDD is reconnected and manipulated after everything is running on the SSD in the new system.

TRENDING THREADS