Question How do I reconsile my AV Receiver's 60hz refresh rate with a monitor's 144hz?

Rodario

Reputable
May 28, 2015
Hello everybody

To use a 5.1 sound system with my gaming/multimedia PC, I have an AV receiver hooked up to the graphics card via hdmi, and a monitor also to the gpu via displayport.

The receiver is connected by HDMI because toslink would only allow for virtual surround.

The monitor is not connected to the receiver for various reasons, but the main ones are a worry about input delay for gaming, and being able to use the computer without turning the receiver on.

Of course, windows sees this receiver as a second monitor, but up until now this problem was solvable by setting them to duplicate as opposed to span (into nowhere).

But now that I would like to upgarde my monitor to a 144hz model, I suddenly face an issue with my setup:

The receiver only goes to 60hz.

If the monitor and receiver's refresh rate isn't synced, screen tears happen. I noticed this because the receiver was originally set to 30hz and I had to find out why I'm having issues with screen tearing.

So, what do you reckon are my options here?

I only have this setup because when my logitec z5500 sound system finally died after about 10 years of service, I had to learn that there are no longer any decent sound systems intended for PCs (or sound cards for that matter), and the receiver/HT speaker setup seemed like the only real possibility.

The receiver in question is a Denon AVR-X250BT, connected to an ASUS STRIX GTX980 on a RAMPAGE V Extreme mainboard.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Rodario

Reputable
May 28, 2015
How were you connecting the TOSLINK?
  • PC to Stereo
  • TV to Stereo
I ask because I would normally connect the PC to the TV via HDMI. Then output the sound from my TV to the Stereo. Assuming the TV has TOSLINK.

Hi

It's a PC monitor. There is no audio out. And I was not using toslink but HDMI.

The connection is PC to Receiver and PC to monitor.