[SOLVED] How do I reset GPU drivers if my CPU doesn’t have integrated graphics ?

Oct 31, 2021
I was playing a game, and all of a sudden my pc froze. I wasn’t playing a demanding game or anything and I played it multiple times before, so I don’t know why it crashed. Anyway I turned it off, reset it and turned it back on, and now my mother has its easy debug light on that indicates that the gpu is not being detected so I figured I reset the cmos, but nothing changed. I’ve checked all the wires to make sure nothing is loose and nothing is. I googled a bunch of things and most of them say I should reset the gpu’s drivers, but my cpu is a an intel i5 - 10400f which doesn’t come with integrated graphics, so I’m completely blind.

Solution
If your motherboard is stuck with the GPU LED on, then your PC is stuck during POST as sizzling pointed out and OS drivers are completely irrelevant since there is no OS loaded yet.

The two most likely issues I can think of are either the GPU is fried or the PSU is having issues providing sufficiently clean power to the GPU to get through its own POST before it can talk to the CPU.

What exact brand and model PSU and GPU are you using?

InvalidError

Titan
If your motherboard is stuck with the GPU LED on, then your PC is stuck during POST as sizzling pointed out and OS drivers are completely irrelevant since there is no OS loaded yet.

The two most likely issues I can think of are either the GPU is fried or the PSU is having issues providing sufficiently clean power to the GPU to get through its own POST before it can talk to the CPU.

Solution
Oct 31, 2021
To confirm you cannot even get into the BIOS? If you cannot even get an image to get into the BIOS this is not driver related. This sounds like a hardware failure. What’s the full pc spec?
I have an intel i5-10400f cpu, a gigabyte GeForce gtx 1050 Ti gpu, single channel 8gb ram, msi B460 pro-vdh wifi motherboard, raidmax RX-400 XT power bank, 500gb ssd and a 1tb hdd.

Oct 31, 2021

I have an intel i5-10400f cpu, a gigabyte GeForce gtx 1050 Ti gpu, single channel 8gb ram, msi B460 pro-vdh wifi motherboard, raidmax RX-400 XT power bank, 500gb ssd and a 1tb hdd.

I could not find any proper reviews for that psu but being Raidmax I am very sceptical of it.

At this point the only way to find a hardware fault is to try swapping parts. Can you try the gpu in a different pc? I would avoid putting another gpu in this pc encase the psu is faulty. If you don’t have access to another pc or a friends pc you may be best to find a local pc store that can test the parts for you.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Oct 31, 2021
I could not find any proper reviews for that psu but being Raidmax I am very sceptical of it.

At this point the only way to find a hardware fault is to try swapping parts. Can you try the gpu in a different pc? I would avoid putting another gpu in this pc encase the psu is faulty. If you don’t have access to another pc or a friends pc you may be best to find a local pc store that can test the parts for you.
No I don’t have another pc to swap parts with to troubleshoot, but are you sure this is the psu fault? The rest of the pc is getting power, it’s just the gpu that’s not being detected. I mean I don’t know, luckily I do have a warranty on my pc so I should probably send it to them if there’s no way for me to fix it as it is now.

InvalidError

Titan
No I don’t have another pc to swap parts with to troubleshoot, but are you sure this is the psu fault?
The only way to be 100% certain would be to record what is happening across all PSU output rails using an oscilloscope, then sift through the data for anomalies that could cause failures or malfunctions.

As others have already written, Raidmax as a mostly crappy reputation and you are better off swapping the PSU out for something of better quality before any (more) damage gets done to your PC regardless of whether it is the cause of your current problem.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
No I don’t have another pc to swap parts with to troubleshoot, but are you sure this is the psu fault? The rest of the pc is getting power, it’s just the gpu that’s not being detected. I mean I don’t know, luckily I do have a warranty on my pc so I should probably send it to them if there’s no way for me to fix it as it is now.
Did you try physically disconnecting the GPU and then re-installing it? (you should pretty much do this with every cable connection from the GPU to your monitor) Only connect the bare minimum cables necessary for post.

If the above doesn't work...
Was this a pre-built? If so and its under warranty that's probably the best option for you. Nvida and Intel are power hungry components. Combine them with a low quality PSU and yeah even playing undemanding games can cause hardware failures. If they can fix great (they will most likely swap out the PSU), but if they can't then get your money back. Next time when buying a PC research the components they use.

If you built it yourself then do as suggested, get a good quality PSU rated at about 650w Gold and that would be your starting point. If still no post get a cheep GPU like a GT710 before trying to buy another expensive gaming GPU. Who knows the MOBO could be shot as well so start small and work your way up.

I don't know but psu or gpu seem most likely. A psu failure can kill any connected components, a psu that is providing a 'dirty' supply can cause components to die prematurely. It could also be just the gpu failed with no cause. If this pc was a prebuilt with a warranty then use it, trying to fix this yourself could invalidate the warranty.

Oct 31, 2021
I don't know but psu or gpu seem most likely. A psu failure can kill any connected components, a psu that is providing a 'dirty' supply can cause components to die prematurely. It could also be just the gpu failed with no cause. If this pc was a prebuilt with a warranty then use it, trying to fix this yourself could invalidate the warranty.
So… after a while of testing things, I have found out that the ssd is the problem. I unplugged my ssd and my computer will go into bios, and my motherboard will detect my gpu and I can actually see it on the screen again. I swapped out the cables on my ssd to see if it was the cables but it still will not allow the gpu to boot with the ssd installed. So my best guess is that the operating system got damaged or the ssd got bricked, I tried to use a boot usb to repair the ssd, but even though I changed the boot order and have pressed the boot menu key and bios key repeatedly with the ssd in to no avail. I’m just gonna get the warranty to look at it and give me a new ssd and possibly a power supply just in case the old power supply was what corrupted my ssd. None the less thank you guys for giving me advice