How do i split the internet in half?

canadianpawn

Commendable
Jan 7, 2017
I want to download all day but I can't because people will just end up screaming at me and saying STOP DOWNLOADING! it's * annoying and it drives me nuts. Is it possible to split the internet in half so that they can only use facebook?

<Language, please>

Solution

Steam has built in download limiting it the options.
Maybe you can use a download manager to limit download speeds.

As said above QoS is what you want for sure.

1.1 megabit/sec is insanely slow(137.5 kilobytes/sec) by today's standards. Could you be getting 1.1 megabytes/sec?

Downloading at night as said above is also a VERY good idea. it avoids causing issues for other users.

canadianpawn

Commendable
Jan 7, 2017
Like I said my internet sucks and I want my stuff to be done has quick has possible. I'm just wondering if it's possible to split it in half. You didn't answered my question.

USAFRet

Titan

With actual speed from your ISP of 1.1mbps...there really is NOT a lot you can do.
That is totally substandard for one person, much less 'more than one'.

What you're looking for is QoS. But if your router has that function, and if you were to split it in 'half'....you each suffer along at 500kbps.

Steam has built in download limiting it the options.
Maybe you can use a download manager to limit download speeds.

As said above QoS is what you want for sure.

1.1 megabit/sec is insanely slow(137.5 kilobytes/sec) by today's standards. Could you be getting 1.1 megabytes/sec?

Downloading at night as said above is also a VERY good idea. it avoids causing issues for other users.

Solution

If the other person is paying half the Internet bill, you don't have a right to have just your stuff done as quickly as possible.

The point of QoS is to prioritize traffic, not to split bandwidth. Most implementations of QoS I've seen don't even let you split bandwidth in this manner. Although some do let you place a bandwidth cap on a certain LAN port.

Anyhow, prioritization is better because it still allows the low-priority task to use all the bandwidth if there's no other network traffic. So if you give your Steam downloads a low priority, the download will progress at close to 1 Mbps until you or the other person does something. For the few seconds your roommate is loading a Facebook page, they will get close to 1 Mbps and your Steam download will almost stop. The moment their Facebook page finishes loading, your Steam download will resume at 1 Mbps.

This is a much better solution than splitting the bandwidth, so QoS is exactly what you want. You just have to figure out how to tell your router what is a Steam download or other types of downloads. Usually either by port (I'm finding ports 27015-27030 and 58000-60999 online as Steam download ports) or destination IP. Assign those a low priority. Assign ports 80 and 443 medium priority - those are http (web browser) and https (secure web browser). Assign network management protocols like DNS (port 53) high priority.

Unfortunately, QoS needs some overhead to run. So you will likely have to set the max bandwidth in the QoS settings at 1.0 or 0.9 Mbps. But if that is what it takes to broker peace in the house, then it's a worthwhile tradeoff.

If your router does not have QoS, see if it's a model which can be upgraded with DD-WRT or Tomato or OpenWRT. Those firmwares come in version compatible with many routers and include QoS.