Question How do I stop the original version/build of Windows 10 from updating?

Mar 23, 2023
I'm sure this has been asked before, but for up-to-date/accurate information I have to ask again.
Already have O&O ShutUp10++ on the machine, but that seems to only work so much before things start getting turned back on.
Are there registry hacks I can do that will permanently disable Windows Update? Can I remove Windows Update somehow?

The computers are not yet hooked up to the internet. They are older systems which will be used for displaying multiple news feeds using Gridplayer.
22H2, 21H2 and 21H1 use too many system resources and after much testing this works best. Please don't tell me to use Linux, I don't have the patience for it!

Thanks for any help you can give!

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
I'm sure this has been asked before, but for up-to-date/accurate information I have to ask again.
Already have O&O ShutUp10++ on the machine, but that seems to only work so much before things start getting turned back on.
Are there registry hacks I can do that will permanently disable Windows Update? Can I remove Windows Update somehow?

The computers are not yet hooked up to the internet. They are older systems which will be used for displaying multiple news feeds using Gridplayer.
22H2, 21H2 and 21H1 use too many system resources and after much testing this works best. Please don't tell me to use Linux, I don't have the patience for it!

If I recall correctly, there is no way to prevent updates on Windows in the long-term. A lot of these updates are security updates that are meant to protect your device. I’m not sure if it works anymore because of Microsoft’s changes, but if you go to Services > Windows Update > Double-click > Change it to Disabled, that used to work.

Edit: I would mention that it’s not recommended from a security standpoint or software support standpoint. The first step in most troubleshooting steps (depending on the problem) is updating drivers and Windows.

Mar 23, 2023
If I recall correctly, there is no way to prevent updates on Windows in the long-term. A lot of these updates are security updates that are meant to protect your device. I’m not sure if it works anymore because of Microsoft’s changes, but if you go to Services > Windows Update > Double-click > Change it to Disabled, that used to work.

Edit: I would mention that it’s not recommended from a security standpoint or software support standpoint. The first step in most troubleshooting steps (depending on the problem) is updating drivers and Windows.
I appreciate the security concerns and have them myself. My install DVD was made by me and downloaded from Microsoft when Win10 was first released so I know it's clean. I already have all incoming connections blocked in the firewall. I should be looking into Mitre and Spectre patches I suppose, but these computers will only be pulling news feeds and nothing else... fingers crossed lol

No idea if this works.
If you have the pro version of windows put 'group policy block updates' into google.

I was not aware that 1507 or 1511 could even update itself to recent builds anymore, even if you left WindowsUpdate running. Even updating to 1903 or 1909 had to be done manually because there was no automatic updater to go directly, and previous updates to builds such as 1709 had been removed from the server so there wasn't even an indirect path automatically.

Just clone the disk and try it--chances are WindowsUpdate will only install the long-outdated updates to that build, and new Windows Defender definitions.

BTW, this is regular 1507 we are talking about here, as LTSC 1507 is still supported until October 2025 just like 22H2

Mar 23, 2023
I was not aware that 1507 or 1511 could even update itself to recent builds anymore, even if you left WindowsUpdate running. Even updating to 1903 or 1909 had to be done manually because there was no automatic updater to go directly, and previous updates to builds such as 1709 had been removed from the server so there wasn't even an indirect path automatically.

Just clone the disk and try it--chances are WindowsUpdate will only install the long-outdated updates to that build, and new Windows Defender definitions.

BTW, this is regular 1507 we are talking about here, as LTSC 1507 is still supported until October 2025 just like 22H2
This is regular Home edition 1507 build 10240, downloaded shortly after it was released. I know the last time I installed this version on a friend's laptop like 2-3 years ago it updated all the to way 20H2 when left to do it's thing. He is still running off of that install and I am pretty sure it has updated to 22H2 now. I would have to ask him.

I could plug the internet in and see what happens on the one system just for gigs. Maybe if I Install a firewall that is not Windows I can block all connections except for what I want to connect to? I read somewhere yesterday that it will still update even if you try to block all the connections. I should just install Windows 7 and call it a day! LMAO

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
This is regular Home edition 1507 build 10240, downloaded shortly after it was released. I know the last time I installed this version on a friend's laptop like 2-3 years ago it updated all the to way 20H2 when left to do it's thing. He is still running off of that install and I am pretty sure it has updated to 22H2 now. I would have to ask him.

I could plug the internet in and see what happens on the one system just for gigs. Maybe if I Install a firewall that is not Windows I can block all connections except for what I want to connect to? I read somewhere yesterday that it will still update even if you try to block all the connections. I should just install Windows 7 and call it a day! LMAO
Or get Linux ;)

USAFRet

Titan
I have a nagging suspicion that you are chasing the wrong solution.

Solution wanted:
Disable Win 10 updates

Why:
"22H2, 21H2 and 21H1 use too many system resources and after much testing this works best."

So...what are the actual specs of this system?
Win 10, even the current "versions" can run on a LOT of old hardware.

Reactions: Corwin65
Mar 23, 2023
I have a nagging suspicion that you are chasing the wrong solution.

Solution wanted:
Disable Win 10 updates

Why:
"22H2, 21H2 and 21H1 use too many system resources and after much testing this works best."

So...what are the actual specs of this system?
Win 10, even the current "versions" can run on a LOT of old hardware.
I don't believe I am. I just don't want the computers to update at all because from my testing Windows uses more resources with the newer versions vs the original Windows 10.

The specs are:
MSI g41m-P33 MoBo
Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.94GHz 1066MHz FSB / 2 cores no HT / Qtr 1 2009
RAM: 4GB DDR-3 - I don't have any to upgrade with or money so upgrading is out of the question for now
It has 2 HDD's, not SSDs - 120GB and 500GB both 7500RPM...and again no money to upgrade
I do have a 32GB SanDisk thumb drive with ReadyBoost enabled.

I know it "can" run but it performs like crap on the new versions. I had it all written down what resources were being used at idle but I lost it. I'm sure there would be no problems for me if I had money to get an SSD. I could take one out of my good computer that I am on, but I don't believe that would have any effect for streaming news feeds. I believe it's a RAM or OS issue. I could be wrong though.
Thanks for replying and any more thoughts always appreciated!

Mar 23, 2023
Or get Linux ;)
LOL that made me laugh because I am now considering it. The program I use has a Linux version, but I am not good with Linux. Always something that will not work for me. I might tho, Lubuntu is usually good to me when I play with that. Any flavor you recommend or prefer for older systems?

The specs are:
MSI g41m-P33 MoBo
RAM: 4GB DDR-3 - I don't have any to upgrade with or money so upgrading is out of the question for now
It has 2 HDD's, not SSDs - 120GB and 500GB both 7500RPM...and again no money to upgrade

Someone gave me the system, was an old cash register setup for a beer store. The case is a gaming case with pretty red lights on the front, a clear side panel with a dragon or something and a seized light up fan I removed. Also a big light up fan in the back. Never had a "gaming" case before lol. Not a gamer. Sorry for oversharing!

How curious, I have a G41 board with only 4GB and HDD here right now and it seems to run perfectly acceptably on 22H2 whether or not an 8GB ReadyBoost drive is inserted (there is more free memory when it is installed as none is then used to cache the disk, but at USB 2.0 it's not really any faster).

The main differences are it's a quadcore (Q6700 which is $10 on eBay), DDR2 with 10,000rpm HDD. But I don't think that's it because the C2D laptops I have which are even slower than your E7500 also seem to run OK too, just a bit slower.

Of course such systems are unsuited for multitasking, but any single program should run fine on 22H2.

Multitasking is limited by the low amount of RAM, and unless you look specifically for a lightweight linux distro, that wouldn't be much better either. I mean something like Mint Cinnamon is just as full-featured as Windows.

With 4GB you can multitask if you are willing to wait while it pages to HDD, it's just 10,000x slower then.

Mar 23, 2023
Multitasking is limited by the low amount of RAM, and unless you look specifically for a lightweight linux distro, that wouldn't be much better either. I mean something like Mint Cinnamon is just as full-featured as Windows.

With 4GB you can multitask if you are willing to wait while it pages to HDD, it's just 10,000x slower then.
Ok, thank you. Will probably go with Lubuntu.

Mar 23, 2023
Or get Linux ;)
Yes, Linux would be a good option for that system. Depending on use, of course.

As mentioned above disable the update service.....test
Lubuntu won. Kicking Windows butt. Thank you all for the input I really appreciate it.

Reactions: Cj-tech

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
LOL that made me laugh because I am now considering it. The program I use has a Linux version, but I am not good with Linux. Always something that will not work for me. I might tho, Lubuntu is usually good to me when I play with that. Any flavor you recommend or prefer for older systems?

The specs are:
MSI g41m-P33 MoBo

Someone gave me the system, was an old cash register setup for a beer store. The case is a gaming case with pretty red lights on the front, a clear side panel with a dragon or something and a seized light up fan I removed. Also a big light up fan in the back. Never had a "gaming" case before lol. Not a gamer. Sorry for oversharing!
Ubuntu has ran decently on any system I’ve tried it on including a laptop with 4GB RAM. In fact, I was able to host a local, lightweight game server and Samba server simultaneously. Aside from Ubuntu, I’ve really only used CentOS, Raspbian, and some specific purpose operating systems. You could boot from a USB without installing Ubuntu, just to test it out.

Edit: Saw that you are now using Lubuntu. Glad it’s working out for you.

D

Deleted member 14196

You have othe issues. As mentioned above, my computers are always on the latest updates and there are no resource consumption issues. You have something else consuming the resources. It’s not Windows updates

When I start my computer, it’s only running about 2 to 3 GB of RAM

Study resource monitor, and you will find out the cause

Mar 23, 2023
You have othe issues. As mentioned above, my computers are always on the latest updates and there are no resource consumption issues. You have something else consuming the resources. It’s not Windows updates

When I start my computer, it’s only running about 2 to 3 GB of RAM

Study resource monitor, and you will find out the cause
Thank you.