Question How do I test an aggregated services router before selling it?

Clay201

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
A family member has an item I'd like to help them sell, but I don't know enough about this type of device to test it out properly.

I have plenty of experience providing tech support for home PCs, smart phones, tablets, modems, routers, TVs, etc. I know my way around a motherboard and a Windows device manager and I can figure out why the TV in your living room isn't getting The Discovery Channel. However, I've never worked on enterprise level (if that's even the correct term) hardware. I wouldn't even know where to find the power switch on a rack-mounted server.

According to Google, the item we're looking to sell is an an HP aggregated services router, 920 series. (My family member has it because they're part owner in a business which used it.) It was manufactured in 2016 and appears to be in very good condition.

Questions:

1. The router has two identical power cord connectors. They appear to be C14s. Can I plug in a pair of standard PC power cords and just see whether the device powers up? Is it possible I could use the wrong cord and cause some kind of damage? According to the label, "Input: 100-240v ~ 2A-1A 60/50Hz"

2. Assuming it powers up, how do I then confirm that the device is working properly? Can I just connect it to a Windows 7 PC with an ethernet cable? What do I do then? Find its IP address and log in to it like I would a regular consumer-level router?

3. Assuming I make it to the log-in screen, how do I figure out the password? Is there a default password for a device like this?

4. The router was used for commercial purposes. Will I need to wipe any data, passwords, settings, etc. off of it before passing it along to its next owner?

kanewolf

Titan
According to Google, the item we're looking to sell is an an HP aggregated services router, 920 series. (My family member has it because they're part owner in a business which used it.) It was manufactured in 2016 and appears to be in very good condition.
A six year old business router is past the end of support by HP (probably). Hopefully you aren't expecting much value.

Your description "HP aggregated services router, 920 series" doesn't really match anything obvious. Most HP network hardware have a "Jxxxx" model number. That would help us identify exactly what you are talking about. Could it be a Cisco ASR 920 router ?

Commercial routers are very hard to sell on the used market other than maybe to someone who wants to use it to study for some certification.

The big problem is you can not get any kind of firmware support without a yearly service contract. In addition when you buy these from other than a authorized reseller it is very costly to place a service contract on these devices and sometimes you can not get a service contract no matter how much you pay. Since these contract are both for software and hardware it is kinda like trying to buy a insurance for you car after you had a accident.

Most businesses that use that type of equipment will not even consider buying stuff from the grey market. You might be able to sell it overseas.

All have a method to wipe any configurations but it varies greatly and many of these devices still use line mode terminals to do basic configurations.

Clay201

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
Oops. Yep, it's a Cisco, not an HP. Sorry. All the other specs I included were transcribed from my notes and/or photos, but the "HP" part I inserted based on my memory. Shouldn't have trusted my memory.

As for its value on the open market... I'm a little confused. Here's a similar model that just sold on eBay for $1600.00. And here's one that sold for about $380.00.

I don't see anything in those listings about support, so I'm assuming the purchase didn't come with any. Do you think it's possible the buyers were just stupid and didn't understand the importance of the support?

A six year old business router is past the end of support by HP (probably). Hopefully you aren't expecting much value.

Your description "HP aggregated services router, 920 series" doesn't really match anything obvious. Most HP network hardware have a "Jxxxx" model number. That would help us identify exactly what you are talking about. Could it be a Cisco ASR 920 router ?

There are many different submodels in addition cisco actually sells devices with physical ports that you can't actually use unless you pay extra for them. So the device might say have 8 10g bit ports but you must pay for each port individually.
They likely also have different software feature versions. I know for example the license things like number of vpn end clients than connect. You basically have to pay for each vpn user than can connect. There are all kinds of other things they like to charge separate fees for.

From a quick look these are all end of life a couple years back. They are not going to provide any kind of software patch after july of this year and that assume you are already on a software contract already.

This type of equipment drops massively in price when cisco drops support. No business will place equipment like this in there network when there might be a future vulnerability that will never be fixed/patched.

Clay201

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
Well, I still need to find out whether the thing will even power on.

Can I connect standard PC power cords to it?

There are many different submodels in addition cisco actually sells devices with physical ports that you can't actually use unless you pay extra for them. So the device might say have 8 10g bit ports but you must pay for each port individually.
They likely also have different software feature versions. I know for example the license things like number of vpn end clients than connect. You basically have to pay for each vpn user than can connect. There are all kinds of other things they like to charge separate fees for.

From a quick look these are all end of life a couple years back. They are not going to provide any kind of software patch after july of this year and that assume you are already on a software contract already.

This type of equipment drops massively in price when cisco drops support. No business will place equipment like this in there network when there might be a future vulnerability that will never be fixed/patched.

My guess is yes it likely takes the standard power cord type. Most cisco devices can run with cord from different countries since the side on the router is the same and it will just figure the power out.

The exception would be is if it uses DC power but then you likely would know it used a non standard cable.

Clay201

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
Thank you.

Can I log into it using a windows computer? Even if I can't login, can I at least get to the login screen? That would confirm that it's functioning, at least partially.