Question How do I use a Smart Plug to control my TV using Alexa

ItsEvap

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
Hey guys and gals thanks for stopping by.

I recently got hooked on using smart plugs around my house to control things like lighting with my Alexa. And long story short I decided to pick up the TP-link smart plugs at Sams to use for my TV. Anyway I can get them connected and working just fine, thing is my TV, I'd assume like most TVs, require you to hit a power button on your remote to actually start watching TV. So now my plug is pretty useless lol and I am kinda disappointed. So all my plug really does is gives my TV power and turn it off on command. So if anyone could give me some ideas I'd appreciate it.

Is there maybe a way when I turn my TV on from the main power that it automatically turns on the TV so I don't need to press the power button on my remote to start watching?
This thread is pretty confusing lol so I hope you can understand it.

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 217926

Smart plugs only work on things that stay on if they lose power. Like lamps. Even a coffee pot won't work with them if it's programmable. To test, turn the device on and unplug it. Now plug it back in. Is it on? Then it will work with a smart plug.

What brand and model of TV do you have?

If it is something like last month brand-new, it is possible that you have some smart home integration options available in the Smart TV features.....and there may be an Alexa skill available for your specific TV, as well.

If not, and you have some skills with electronics design and a smattering of programming, you can likely put-together a WiFi-connected, Alexa integrated module that will at least cover the basic remote control functions of
  • On,
  • Off,
  • Channel Up,
  • Channel Down,
  • Volume Up,
  • Volume Down, and
  • Mute-Toggling
in a couple of afternoons-worth of work.