Question How do I use a USB monitor as an extended display.

dakota.lapointe

Prominent
Jul 31, 2018
I have an ASUS MB168B that I want to use as an extended display for the sole purpose of displaying temps. I wan't to make sure it's possible to do before ripping apart and redoing all my cable management.

From what I understand plugging a monitor directly into the motherboard will try to pull from the onboard graphics from your CPU but I can't find anything about USB monitors specifically.

My issue is that I do not have an IGP on my CPU and cannot plug a USB into my graphics card. I have read that USB to hdmi/display port adapters will not work because of the way a USB monitor receives data. On a laptop it should be plug and play because you're using the IGP for both monitors but I'm not sure how it would work with a dedicated graphics card.

If I just plug the monitor into my motherboard will it just automatically pull from the GPU as I don't have integrated graphics? Or is there any way I can get this to work if it doesn't?

My Pc
Ryzen 5 2600
Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC
8GB HyperX DDR4
MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I only wan't a second screen to display HWmoniter & Afterburner so I want a small display, this is the smallest I can find and even 21 inch monitors will be too big for my desk.

Thanks.

If you have read the specs, you'll see that this monitor has single USB cable. It does not connect to neither IGP nor discrete GPU, it connects to an USB 3.0 port, as every other USB device. It will appear as yet another display, and whether you'll operate it in extended, or duplicate mode is up to you.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS