Question How do I use a USB monitor as an extended display.

dakota.lapointe

Prominent
Jul 31, 2018
I have an ASUS MB168B that I want to use as an extended display for the sole purpose of displaying temps. I wan't to make sure it's possible to do before ripping apart and redoing all my cable management.

From what I understand plugging a monitor directly into the motherboard will try to pull from the onboard graphics from your CPU but I can't find anything about USB monitors specifically.

My issue is that I do not have an IGP on my CPU and cannot plug a USB into my graphics card. I have read that USB to hdmi/display port adapters will not work because of the way a USB monitor receives data. On a laptop it should be plug and play because you're using the IGP for both monitors but I'm not sure how it would work with a dedicated graphics card.

If I just plug the monitor into my motherboard will it just automatically pull from the GPU as I don't have integrated graphics? Or is there any way I can get this to work if it doesn't?

My Pc
Ryzen 5 2600
Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC
8GB HyperX DDR4
MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I only wan't a second screen to display HWmoniter & Afterburner so I want a small display, this is the smallest I can find and even 21 inch monitors will be too big for my desk.

Thanks.