Question How do i verify performance is acceptable on a used 3080 Ti I have just bought ?

wittypixel

Honorable
Oct 29, 2016
title is pretty straight forward. the reason why is because it's used. i have 30 days to return it and a 1 yr warranty so i have confidence but want to make sure this one isn't worn down.

there a benchmark I can and should run? and what numbers do i compare it to? I do have the card on the lower slot versus the higher one since a capture card is in the case.

To be clear I trust the seller but end of the day it's still a used card.

SPECS
CPU 5600x
GPU EVGA 3080 ti XC3 Ultra
RAM 24 GB (yes I'm a monster)

if anymore info needs to be provided lmk

kizo

Prominent
BANNED
Jul 17, 2022
24Gigs RAM?
Quite unusual.
I wonder if there are performance issues with that?
I imagine it is 2x8+1x8 configuration?
32 would be much,much better.

Well personally I would bring it to some service of some PC shop to check it out test it and tell you if it is necessary fix something.
To some shop with good reputation.
That is what I did to prove to at the time future buyer of my precious 3080 12GB that everything is in order.
They checked the GPU,performed various tests and it passed with flying colours.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
title is pretty straight forward. the reason why is because it's used. i have 30 days to return it and a 1 yr warranty so i have confidence but want to make sure this one isn't worn down.

there a benchmark I can and should run? and what numbers do i compare it to? I do have the card on the lower slot versus the higher one since a capture card is in the case.

To be clear I trust the seller but end of the day it's still a used card.

SPECS
CPU 5600x
GPU EVGA 3080 ti XC3 Ultra
RAM 24 GB (yes I'm a monster)

if anymore info needs to be provided lmk
PassMark is good they are others also.

Well personally I would bring it to some service of some PC shop to check it out test it and tell you if it is necessary fix something.
Why would you pay somebody to do what you can for free LOL.

kizo

Prominent
BANNED
Jul 17, 2022
If a person is going to buy a used device, and then pay someone else to check it out...they might as well have just bought a new one to start.
That depends on the price of that PC.
I doubt that someone else checking it out would cost few hundred $.
I do not know the price of such things in the USA , but there is no way it is hundreds of $.
He says he trusts to merchant or whoever he bought it from , but he clearly does not.

kizo

Prominent
BANNED
Jul 17, 2022
PassMark is good they are others also.

Why would you pay somebody to do what you can for free LOL.
Well the GPU can pass with a flying colours regardless of if it is worn down or not.
Like physicaly.
It just depends on where if is worn down.
IF some slight repairs are necessary.
Something that may not be a problem now, but it might become if left alone.
They would likely just be in a position to tell him about it because any significant tempering like replacing parts might cause warranty being void.

As for why I did that,well the buyer wanted a third party to confirm everything is fine.
I was asking some 800 Euros for it afterall.
Well 830 really,but droped to 800 or so.
Oh and actually buyer payed for it , not me.
23.8 Euros.
The card was purchased 2 months earlier for 1000 Euros and it became nearly impossible to find 12GB 3080s.
Otherwise I would need to go lower.

Last edited:

wittypixel

Honorable
Oct 29, 2016
thanks for the advice everyone, and i agree that with all the free benchmarking no point in paying someone to test it.

and I can test it myself :) just needed guidance what numbers to compare to.

so downloading passmark now and will i guess google other systems using the same specs

kizo

Prominent
BANNED
Jul 17, 2022
thanks for the advice everyone, and i agree that with all the free benchmarking no point in paying someone to test it.

and I can test it myself :) just needed guidance what numbers to compare to.

so downloading passmark now and will i guess google other systems using the same specs
i meant more to check the physical condition.
Not everything is very obvious to the eye

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Generally, labor costs at computer shops, depending on where in the US, would be $75-$125 an hour. That's pretty steep for basic testing and nothing obviously being wrong; it's like hiring a chef to make you a hard-boiled egg.

OP, you can test functionality with benchmarking software like 3DMark, Furmark, or Superposition. This will tell you how it's working, but it *won't* tell you anything about the condition or lifespan of your card. GPUs are not like cars; only the fans are an actual physical process in the general sense, and even then there's only so much you can tell visually.

Ran 3DMark and got 18,677 and I'm seeing the official 3dmark average score is 19,596 for the 3080 ti. am i good or nah? 😂 wish i could see the 3dmark full list and what model GPUs others were testing

View: https://i.imgur.com/l5eWi9s.png
You're only 5% off of the mark that 3DMark calls "average". You have to remember that "average" in 3DMark is a statistical algorithm that isn't really the industry average. This is because there are two kinds of people that use 3DMark, those that just want to see what their score is (like you) and those who OC the crap out of their cards to try and compete with each other. This means that the "average" will always be above the real average performance of a stock card because it's inflated by all the overclockers at the top.

In other words, you're doing just fine. ;) (y)

Reactions: geofelt

kizo

Prominent
BANNED
Jul 17, 2022
hmmm 1k eur would get you 3080ti on amazon.de
It was last year September or October and in Croatia and we often have higher prices.
Before we entered Shengen .
If something goes wrong with GPU returning and waiting for it just brings complicatios.
No,better I go to a physical store and their service 10 minutes away with a car.40minutes in combination of walking and a bus.
Less then one hour vs days.
Especially practical if someone doesn't know how to very well describe the problem and especialy not on English.
My English is decent,but some things require my mothers language to better explain or just wants it checked for some reason , like potential buyer did since my word was not enough to him.

I miss my 3080.
Would be able to enjoy Path Tracing in CP2077.
Ah well.
3060Ti I now have can do it at 1080p30 or so with DLSS...can't rember which mode.
But this is off topic , so nvm.