[SOLVED] How do you even connect to internet with built in wifi on motherboard??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Like how do you connect this and make it work?
s-l640.jpg
On the backside of your motherboard, on the rear I/O Panel, you'll see two threaded studs in a golden color, which is where you have to connect / fasten the two golden colored nuts connected to the black cable, seen in your picure above. This is the antenna for better WiFi connection.

There a similar solution on my own motherboard, and it only took a few seconds to realize, that without the antenna, there was hardly any WiFi signal at all, despite my router being located just two feet away in the same room with no obstacles in the way. So I would recommend installing the WiFi antenna for better signal reception

On...
Like how do you connect this and make it work?
s-l640.jpg
On the backside of your motherboard, on the rear I/O Panel, you'll see two threaded studs in a golden color, which is where you have to connect / fasten the two golden colored nuts connected to the black cable, seen in your picure above. This is the antenna for better WiFi connection.

There a similar solution on my own motherboard, and it only took a few seconds to realize, that without the antenna, there was hardly any WiFi signal at all, despite my router being located just two feet away in the same room with no obstacles in the way. So I would recommend installing the WiFi antenna for better signal reception

On my own motherboard, with onboard WiFi there is in fact an option in BIOS for enabling or disabling the onboard WiFi (in my case it also enables and disbales Bluetooth at the same time), as you mentioned yourself in a comment above.

Although we have diffferent motherboards, it is not impossible they'll have some BIOS options in common.
Usually the onboard WiFi is enabled by default, but it is not impossible, that you have to enable it in BIOS in your own situation, although I would strongly suspect that it is enabled to begin with.

There is most likely an available driver with the included driver DVD, or as seen more recently an included driver-USB thumb drive for the motherboard.

You can install the WiFI drivers from the available drivers installation media which was supplied with your motherboard.
Or you can, as suggested above, connect to the internet with an ethernet cable with ionline access, and install the most recent drivers for the WiFi via Windows Update.
And as another possible option, you can go the the moherboard support page and downlaod drivers from there, either from someone else's computer, or from your own computer if you are able to connect via an ethernet cable with online access

Once the drivers are instaslled, posibly after a required restart, an icon should become available in the lower right corner of Windows, close to the clock, and from there you can select which wireless network to connect to, pretty much the same way you would on a mobile phone, a tablet or a laptop

Last edited:
Solution
I meant you connect via Ethernet to perform the Windows update ONLY. Once that's done, you can disconnect the Ethernet cable and use WiFi.

And yes, there's two gold screw terminals on the back side of your motherboard (near the audio jacks and USB ports) to screw the antenna into. You need to use antennae. If you don't like that particular setup, you can go out and buy the more common single "rods" (they're all universal), but you need to use something.

Antennas are used to increase WiFi reception on your device. They're a necessary component. EVERY wireless device has an antenna. (some are just internal so you don't see them, like modern smartphones).

If you're sitting right next to your router, you can probably get by without installing the antenna for your mobo, but in that case, you're better off just being connected via Ethernet anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.