How do you paint a pc case?

+1 to unksol on that link, looks great!

1) be sure that the paint you buy is good at adhearing to the materials you are spraying them on. You may need seperate paints for the plastic and the metal, which can lead to some color issues, but better to have a slightly off color than to find that your paint is chipping off a few months later

2) Paint is all about surface prep. When you think you are done with prep, then do it all again. The smallest problems in this stage can bring a world of hurt (bubling paint, rejected spots/fisheye, chipping, flaking, rub-off etc.)

3) You get what you pay for. Cheap paint is cheap for a reason. With a nice case that should last a really really long time I would not cheap out on the paint used.

Enjoy!

I thought those pics weren't that impressive though I too fell in love with them at first sight Muffin... What Up????
My suggestion is don't do it.....
You'll spoil a perfectly amazing looking case.....
I think we both ought to buy one of those White Phantoms a little later this year.....
You can check the Level 10GT.... White option and it really has spoiled the whole look of the Black one....
coolermaster_haf_912_midtower_case_review5.jpg
coolermaster_haf_912_midtower_case_review6.jpg

It is the Smooth shape of the Phantom that gives it the amazing look in white.... the HAFs aren't exactly Smooth :)

http://forum.coolermaster.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14498

rufus_22

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
The mnpc link will show ya everything you need to know . The prep work is at least as important as the actual application ie. sanding , cleaning , priming and as caedenv noted plastic and metal may require seperate prep techniques and or products . The good news is you can do it with rattle cans ( spray paints ) and a self etching primer like 3m . Good luck with the project !

I would get a phantom and mod my 912 but my mom is going to be asking my why I am getting a new case because I have only had the haf 912 for 6 months and then my dad doesn't let me use the dremel :/ Afraid I am going to hurt myself. Do you know how much one can sell used cases?

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
You can do it by hand, but it will take a bit of time and a lot of patience.

You only need etching primer if you're applying paint to bare metal. If you're applying to plastic or painted metal, any aerosol primer will work fine.

I recommend using 320 or 400grit sandpaper to prep the metal surfaces of the case, followed by "scotchbrite". Use mild soap mixed with distilled water to clean the surface prior to applying the primer. Be sure to allow time to completely dry before applying primer. After application, allow the primer to dry fully. I usually recommend letting the primed panels sit for 8-10hrs. You should apply at least 2 coats of primer....3 tops. After the primer is completely dry, scuff with "scotchbrite" and wipe with mild soap and distilled water....allow to completely dry before applying paint.

Follow the directions on any aerosol cans. Use in well ventilated area, wear appropriate safety items, etc... The paint fumes are toxic, as can be paint dust.

I have never (and to be honest would never) paint a case. Its a good bit of work and just not worth it to me. But I know that's the go to tutorial. So that's all I can speak to for cases. As for sanding, you can always do it by hand. just need a little technique, time, and some muscle. They sell that same shape sanders in a non electric version. Just holds the paper but should be cheap and you'll need something to apply even pressure.

Not to be overly personal, but from working on cars/houses with my dad etc, if I were you i would try and rope him into a father/son project. After all if he doesn't want you to hurt yourself with the tools ought to get him to teach you to use them right :) my three cents

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

You don't want to apply pressure at all. Applying pressure while sanding can result in damage to the surface being sanded.

I suppose "pressure" could be argued to be the wrong word in some cases, but you are always applying pressure even if its just the weight of the tool, or nothing's going to happen. saying you would apply none is kinda rediculous. in anycase the point was to sand evenly, which a tool will help with, vs just going at it with a piece of sand paper (by hand) which will be uneven. I do appreciate the smartasssry though

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

I guess I should have been a bit clearer. Sanding by hand (holding the sand paper with your hand) does sand unevenly, you're right. Using a manual sander or powered sander is prefered. The idea though, is not to apply any pressure yourself. The weight of the sander should be sufficient...if you get a good quality manual sander anyway. Basically, avoid using a cheap sanding sponge.

I actually use one of these at work: http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-00202-Super-Tack-Foam-Block/dp/B001GDVHEI/ref=sr_1_334?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1328405285&sr=1-334
This is the kind of sander you want to avoid as well.... Look for rubber or neoprene.

A 3M or Norton sanding sponge would work....just look for one labeled as "fine", "ultra fine" or "super fine" like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Sanding-Sponge-FINE-SANDING-SPONGE/dp/B000CD1MWA/ref=sr_1_611?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1328405711&sr=1-611

I'll try to clarify myself better in future posts.

rufus_22

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
as mentioned above by sykozis you could get away with a sanding sponge = $2.00 approx . according to mnpctech you use 80 grit . which seemed a bit aggressive to me but there the guys with the show right ? The key is to keep even pressure on the sponge or sanding block ( if you should go that way ) essentially let the sand paper do the work . There are other case mods / paint mods on you tube and some that use spray cans only , actually I think I have one saved . I'll post it if I can find it

rufus_22

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

80grit is too abbrasive, regardless of what they say. It's fine if you're trying to remove plastic or metal....but it'll ruin aluminum panels. It will also take more work to get a smooth surface. Any idiot can paint using aerosol cans....trust me, I've done it enough times. If you're going to use professional, high-build primers, go ahead and start with 80grit (on steel panels)....just spray 3-4 heavy coats of primer and sand thoroughly with 320-400grit. For using aerosol primers, which generally apply much thinner coats, you need to start with 320grit and finish with either 800grit or scotchbrite pads.

rufus_22

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
The 80 grit reference came from a mnpctech tutorial given as an equivelence to the sand blaster they were using . Also note my disclaimer "which seemed a bit aggressive to me " in regaurds to the 80 grit . The second tutorial I posted used much finer grit and progressed up to something like 1000 grit for wet-sanding . I'd like your takes on prepping raw aluminum for paint as I'm gonna be making an aluminum rad frame soon . If you have the time . ty

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
For aluminum, I start by cleaning the panel with mild soap and distilled water. Once clean, sand carefully with 400grit sandpaper, followed by 800grit. Clean with mild soap and distilled water. Apply self-etching primer. I use 2 coats to ensure adequate coverage. Once completely dry, scuff with scotchbrite pads. Clean the surface and apply paint. If you're using epoxy paint, there's no requirement to apply a primer as epoxy bonds to the metal surface. If you wish to apply a clear-coat to the paint, simply scuff the paint with scotchbrite pads and apply 2-3 coats of clear.

The self-etching primer will bond to the surface better than the paint itself will.

The use of distilled water is prefered as it doesn't have the chemical contaminants found in "tap" water.