[SOLVED] how does cable length (cat 6,7,8 or whatever) affect speed and delay?

Feb 20, 2019
So im about to get my new fiber connection home. i will get speeds up to 1000/100 and 1 ms delay, but since i will need to run cable from the modem to my PC i would like to know what speed and delays i would probably get if i choose cat 6,7,8 and how length matters?

so the cable in my house would be about would be 30 meters long, what speeds and delays would i about get with cat 6,7,8?
presuming my router gets stable 10007100 and 1 ms?

thx for advice

Solution
Your question is like asking what car is faster at 100mph, a Ferrari, Volkswagen or Kia?

All of them will connect at exactly the same speed, and at a piddling 25 meters, even Cat5e would connect at 10 gigabit (which is 10x the speed of your fiber internet service) at the same speed as the others. There can be no difference whatsoever unless you happen to live in a RADAR station or aluminum smelter, in which case the shielding would help to reduce induced errors.

Ralston18

Titan
Start with the following links:

https://www.electronics-notes.com/a...ieee-802-3/cables-types-pinout-cat-5-5e-6.php

https://www.directron.com/blog/cabl...MIop-a8ZLB5AIVVFuGCh1MqARgEAMYAiAAEgKIbvD_BwE

The links are intended primarily as informational and not to promote any given manufacturer or standard.

You can easily find similar links and I will also suggest that you do some research regarding planning and installing a home network.

And do not forget to consider any current or future wireless requirements.

Overall, the network will only perform at the rate of the slowest component. Plus even if "identically typed" the quality of the cables components and manufacturing varies greatly. Avoid, for example, CCA (copper clad aluminum) cables. Unlikely that you will need shielded cables.

Shoddy installation can also limit network speeds.

At some point, even if you are thinking ahead, there is a point of diminishing returns. I.e., the network, no matter how much you spend will gain very little with respect to performance and signal quality.

Good quality Cat 5e should serve for quite a while. However, budget permitting, perhaps Cat 6 is viable.

Just my thoughts and I will be equally interested in other thoughts and comments....

Quick answer is it doesn't make any difference.

Copper UTP cable propagation delay is the same no matter what grade it is, about 2/3 the speed of light in vacuum. As for length, 100 meters / (2 x 10^8 meters/sec ) = 0.5 μs
That 0.5 microseconds is equivalent to 0.0005 milliseconds, and that's for the maximum length. At 30 meters you are talking about 0.00015 milliseconds.

For what it's worth, my oldest managed gigabit switch has a rated processing delay of 350 microseconds for store-and-forward packets--that's 700x the delay from 100 meters of cable. More modern, and unmanaged switches are closer to 2-4 microseconds but this thing is from 2002.

Go with a higher grade cable if you ever intend to use it at higher speeds such as 10 gigabit--it makes for a more reliable connection especially in longer lengths at such speeds--Cat6a is required for 100 meters at 10 gigabit. Note that Cat6 is only rated for 55 meters at 10 gigabit, and while Cat5e is not in the standard, many cable manufacturers report their cable works fine at 10 gigabit up to 45 meters.

Feb 20, 2019
Quick answer is it doesn't make any difference.

Copper UTP cable propagation delay is the same no matter what grade it is, about 2/3 the speed of light in vacuum. As for length, 100 meters / (2 x 10^8 meters/sec ) = 0.5 μs
That 0.5 microseconds is equivalent to 0.0005 milliseconds, and that's for the maximum length. At 30 meters you are talking about 0.00015 milliseconds.

For what it's worth, my oldest managed gigabit switch has a rated processing delay of 350 microseconds for store-and-forward packets--that's 700x the delay from 100 meters of cable. More modern, and unmanaged switches are closer to 2-4 microseconds but this thing is from 2002.

Go with a higher grade cable if you ever intend to use it at higher speeds such as 10 gigabit--it makes for a more reliable connection especially in longer lengths at such speeds--Cat6a is required for 100 meters at 10 gigabit. Note that Cat6 is only rated for 55 meters at 10 gigabit, and while Cat5e is not in the standard, many cable manufacturers report their cable works fine at 10 gigabit up to 45 meters.

So if i would go with a shielded and a more reliable cat 6 cable, what speeds would i possibly encounter on my pc if no other bottlenecks would appear on a distance of about ~25 meters?

And i would have bought a 1000/100 speed

Your question is like asking what car is faster at 100mph, a Ferrari, Volkswagen or Kia?

All of them will connect at exactly the same speed, and at a piddling 25 meters, even Cat5e would connect at 10 gigabit (which is 10x the speed of your fiber internet service) at the same speed as the others. There can be no difference whatsoever unless you happen to live in a RADAR station or aluminum smelter, in which case the shielding would help to reduce induced errors.

Solution