Question How easy is it to replace a 3.5" sata connector?

Jan 18, 2023
I saved up and bought a WD80EAZZ (8TB, Western Digital blue) last month. I was an idiot and didn't have it properly secured in my case. Long story short: the plastic support brackets broke off the hard drive's SATA connector, the pins at least look alright:

I've scoured and seen some similar threads with some suggestions, but nothing concrete. Is it possible to replace just the SATA connector on the PCB? Does the connector have to be from the exact same type of PCB? I found this video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmXRkULNAWk

Another alternate fix I found on these forums was to maybe use an extension cable like this for a snug fit:

And lastly, there are a few videos around of people soldering a SATA plug onto the connector. But this looks messy and finicky.

I don't care about the data on it, I just can't afford another one anytime soon. I don't think this is covered under warranty or even Australian Consumer Law (which is very generous). How salvageable is this drive?

Thanks in advance for any input or advice.

Last edited:
I saved up and bought a WD80EAZZ (8TB, Western Digital blue) last month. I was an idiot and didn't have it properly secured in my case. Long story short: the plastic support brackets broke off the hard drive's SATA connector, the pins at least look alright:

I've scoured and seen some similar threads with some suggestions, but nothing concrete. Is it possible to replace just the SATA connector on the PCB? Does the connector have to be from the exact same type of PCB? I found this video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmXRkULNAWk

Another alternate fix I found on these forums was to maybe use an extension cable like this for a snug fit:

And lastly, there are a few videos around of people soldering a SATA plug onto the connector. But this looks messy and finicky.

I don't care about the data on it, I just can't afford another one anytime soon. I don't think this is covered under warranty or even Australian Consumer Law (which is very generous). How salvageable is this drive?

If contacts are not damaged you could use one of those from picture and fasten it with hot glue .

You want all the pins to line up and the plastic to not stick out on either side and the easiest way to make sure of that is to use the same PCB, but if you find something close enough that will work, as long as it lines up.
Changing only the connector would be the soldering thing you didn't like.
I don't think this is covered under warranty or even Australian Consumer Law (which is very generous). How salvageable is this drive?

You can return anything in the first few days no questions asked (dead on arrival) , they could refuse replacing it because it's your fault, but chances are good that they will just replace it.
I don't like this kind of dishonest behaviour but I can also feel your pain.

The hot glue method count mike mentioned is probably the best way to go.