How Firefox Will Get Better Security By Changing Its Add-ons Model

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Electrolysis, aka Firefox is finally ... FINALLY, after 6 years, Firefox is getting multithreaded. Even IE was faster to get this.

It was time Firefox got the speed and stability improvements IE (v8+), Opera (v15+), Chrome and Edge have been enjoying for some time now

ChronosVRdS

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2014
Interesting. Glad Firefox is catching up to the race.

While it would be a good idea and create a new browser (firebird? lol), they could still use the word firefox and create an entirely new type of browser.
Firefox was originally Phoneix but got in name conflict with Phoenix Technologies, they changed to Firebird but there got on another name conflict with the Firebird Database from Firebird Project so Firefox is what was left XD

randomizer

Champion
I run the beta channel and the first thing I did was disable signing requirement. Mozilla is far too slow approving changes (that's the reason for the signing), so my addons may not be signed for weeks or months.

Electrolysis, aka Firefox is finally ... FINALLY, after 6 years, Firefox is getting multithreaded. Even IE was faster to get this.

Multi-process, not multi-threaded. Firefox is already multi-threaded.

genrldisaray

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
Good to see Firefox moving in the right direction. Between this and IE being put out to pasture, the browser world is really taking a step up.

Also, it says "Elecrolysis" six times in this article.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I actually like Firefox for it's stability and quick response on various websites. Google Chrome isn't what it used to be and stopped using it.

Firefox + AdBlock = Awesomeness on my Linux Mint 17.2 workstation!!

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
looks like i need to get the latest version of firefox as it will be the last version of it i use,
i use it because i can have an absolutely stupid number of tabs open without ram issues, opening 3-15 chrome tabs is equal to almost 300 firefox tabs depending on the website.

i also love how firefox extensions can add functionality to the browser in a fairly major way...

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
I use and prefer Firefox because of the many addons it supports far far far better than chrome ever did. Because of this, Firefox has no actual counterpart.

If I wanted barren wasteland of a speedy, memory hungry browser, I'd use Chrome. I don't. I prefer comfort and usefulness of my browser over the rest.

The last few versions of Firefox have gotten very buggy for me...I have done the reset process and even uninstalled/reinstalled and it still hangs and pauses. I fond myself going to Chrome more and more because it just works...

ynhockey

Distinguished
May 4, 2012
I am hopeful, as this could finally entice the Firefox developers to create better features out of the box, unlike previously when the browser relied mainly on extensions even for core features. It didn't help that the main developers (especially Asa Dotzler) were dismissive of criticism and didn't improve the product significantly for a long time.

I have been using the product since Phoenix (probably v0.4, don't remember exactly) in and out, but it was never possible to make it my main browser because it took hours to find the right extensions, and after that they stopped working with each new version. The lack of features out of the box was the killer.

Many here will remember that Firefox mostly achieved its success because the competition was really bad in the beginning, specifically IE 6, and Opera cost money at the time. When Opera became free, it was too little too late, and by the time it solved some basic rendering problems and started gaining popularity, Chrome came out and was essentially better than both browsers from the start.

I really hope the planned versions of Firefox provide a good alternative to Chrome and its clones, I really hope Webkit doesn't become a monopoly.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
they could still use the word firefox and create an entirely new type of browser.
Why on Earth would we need a new type of browser? Browser tech could've frozen a decade ago without significantly affecting the way I use the Internet today.

A reworked addon API is certainly needed badly. I do not want Firefox to load addons without my explicit permission. It is infuriating when I install some software (eg, iTunes) and discover that browser addons have been added. I would also like to prevent browser extensions from phoning home unnecessarily. 90% of browser plugins should NEVER phone home, and certainly never load some remote web page after every update.

Status
Not open for further replies.