How hot does the i7 4770 get?

Thornax22

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015
I'm getting an i7 4770, (not K) and I'm wondering if it's even necessary that I upgrade my cpu cooler. My i3 4330 that I have in here now never gets hotter than 50 degrees. Does the 4770 get significantly hotter than that? I have no intention of overclocking anything, that's why I'm not getting the K, I just want it to work.

Solution
What cooler are you using on i3-4330 ?
If it is stock cooler, that came with the cpu, then it's incapable of cooling down i7-4770.
i3-4330 has 54W TDP, i7-4770 has 84W TDP.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Thornax22,

Your i3 4330 is a 54 Watt TDP (Thermal Design Power) processor, which uses a 65 Watt TDP cooler (PCG 2013C).

The i7 4770 is an 84 Watt TDP processor, which specifies a 95 Watt TDP cooler (PCG 2013D).

The old cooler from your 4330 is not adequate for the 4770. A decent aftermarket cooler is recommended, such as the Cryorig H7 or the Cooler Master Hyper 212.

CT :sol:

Thornax22

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015

It's a cooler that came with the original prebuilt PC. It's not a stock intel cooler, but I have no idea what cooler it is. Thanks for the reply, but I think I'm just going to wait a bit and get a corsair AIO watercooler to be safe.

Your old cooler will work, up to a point.
The 4770 should come with a stock cooler.

Yes, the 4770 can generate more heat.
But, the processor has protections that will slow it down or shut it off if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is around 100c.

What case are you using?
How good is your case cooling?
Any cooler needs a source of fresh air to properly do it's job.
two 120/140mm front intakes should be sufficient for a hot overclocked processor and a strong graphics card.

What is your current temperature at idle?
I would expect to see 10-15c. over ambient if your cooler is mounted well.
It is easy to get a pushpin mount wrong.
See my instructions at the end.

The main reason for an aftermarket cooler would be to reduce noise under load.
The scythe kotetsu at $35 is a very good cooler that I have used.
Here is a review:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1391-page1.html

As to a AIO cooler, do not bother unless you have no room for an air cooler.
My canned rant on liquid cooling:
------------------------start of rant-------------------
You buy a liquid cooler to be able to extract an extra multiplier or two out of your OC.
How much do you really need?
I do not much like all in one liquid coolers when a good air cooler like a Noctua or phanteks can do the job just as well.
A liquid cooler will be expensive, noisy, less reliable, and will not cool any better
in a well ventilated case.
Liquid cooling is really air cooling, it just puts the heat exchange in a different place.
The orientation of the radiator will cause a problem.
If you orient it to take in cool air from the outside, you will cool the cpu better, but the hot air then circulates inside the case heating up the graphics card and motherboard.
If you orient it to exhaust(which I think is better) , then your cpu cooling will be less effective because it uses pre heated case air.
Past that, A AIO radiator complicates creating a positive pressure filtered cooling setup which can keep your parts clean.
And... I have read too many tales of woe when a liquid cooler leaks.
Google for AIO leaks to see what can happen.
While unlikely, leaks do happen.

I would support an AIO cooler primarily in a space restricted case.
If one puts looks over function, that is a personal thing; not for me though.
-----------------------end of rant--------------------------

Your pc will be quieter, more reliable, and will be cooled equally well with a decent air cooler.

----------------how to mount the stock Intel cooler--------------

The stock Intel cooler can be tricky to install.
A poor installation will result in higher cpu temperatures.
If properly mounted, you should expect temperatures at idle to be 10-15c. over ambient.

To mount the Intel stock cooler properly, place the motherboard on top of the foam or cardboard backing that was packed with the motherboard.
The stock cooler will come with paste pre applied, it looks like three grey strips.
The 4 push pins should come in the proper position for installation, that is with the pins rotated in the opposite direction of the arrow,(clockwise)
and pulled up as far as they can go.
Take the time to play with the pushpin mechanism until you know how they work.

Orient the 4 pins so that they are exactly over the motherboard holes.
If one is out of place, you will damage the pins which are delicate.
Push down on a DIAGONAL pair of pins at the same time. Then the other pair.

When you push down on the top black pins, it expands the white plastic pins to fix the cooler in place.

If you do them one at a time, you will not get the cooler on straight.
Lastly, look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are equally through the motherboard, and that the cooler is on firmly.
This last step must be done, which is why the motherboard should be out of the case to do the job. Or you need a case with a opening that lets you see the pins.
It is possible to mount the cooler with the motherboard mounted in the case, but you can then never be certain that the push pins are inserted properly
unless you can verify that the pins are through the motherboard and locked.

If you should need to remove the cooler, turn the pins counter clockwise to unlock them.
You will need to clean off the old paste and reapply new if you ever take the cooler off.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------