This isn't intended to suggest to anyone what he/she should do. Rather I can
tell you where I found the Winfixer files.

Generally Winfixer tried to install itself on every startup -- as Win
Antispyware 2005 or as Win Antivirus Pro 2005. Several times it was able to
install an icon on my desktop before I could x out the installment window. So
I right clicked on the icon, clicked "properties" and then "Find Target." The
resulting window showed a list of "Downloaded Program Files." These are
registry files so I couldn't find them when I looked in the folder
C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files - they're not there.

Among the list of registry files/folders displayed by "Find Target" were the
following folders: "Conflict.1" "Conflict.2" "Conflict.3" and "Quarantine."
Also in the list were the following files: "UWA5PNetInstaller.exe" and
"UWAS5LP_0001_0811NetInstaller.exe." The "WA" in these files I assume stands
for Win Antispyware.

After reading the following link on the internet
(www.reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=116302&messageID=1397473),
I realized that my files were similar to hers and concluded they were Win
Fixer registry files. (I had also read several threads on Geeks-to-Go dealing
with Win Fixer that identified similar files). So I deleted them right there
in the "Find Target" window by right clicking and deleting all of the folders
and files listed above. Alternatively, I could have started the registry with
"Start" "Run" "Regedit" and deleted them there -- it was just easier to
delete them in the "Find Target Window."

One thing I did note in right clicking on the "UW" files was one of them was
created on August 11, about the time Win Fixer became a problem for me and a
lot of people.

Next I found that WinAntispyware files were also contained in C:\Documents
and Settings\My Name(user name)\Local Settings\Temp. There was a "Winantispy"
folder there and also the file "NI.UWAS5LP\setup.exe." I right clicked on the
"NI.UWA..." file and the resulting window identified the file as
"Winantispyware 2005 Setup Wizard." I deleted both the the folder and the
file. I may have gotten a message saying they couldn't be deleted, but I got
around it somehow but can't remember how.

Also in the above Temp file were several .tmp and .xml files that I didn't
know if they were related to Win antispyware. When I right clicked on them
and found they had been created the day before, I deleted them because I knew
I hadn't installed anything important in that timeframe.

Since I took the above steps, I've had no problems with WinFixer. Initially
when Winfixer appeared on my computer, I tried running anti-virus and spyware
programs. The ones I had didn't pick it up -- Norton Antivirus, AVG, Panda,
trojan scans, Ad_aware SE, SpyBot Search and Destroy, Spyware Doctor, etc. I
tried start>search to look for Winfixer files -- no luck. A "UW" file did
show up in the "Startup Tab" when I ran "Start" "msconfig." I did view
several threads on Geeks-to-Go dealing with WinFixer, and they were helpful
-- the "UW" files did appear in almost every thread submitted by the infected
party. But when I tried to duplicate their VundoFix process by substituting
my own dll files obtained from HiJackThis, I still had the Temp files listed
above.

One mice program listed in the Geeks-to-Go threads was Clean Up! I
downloaded it and ran it and it says it cleaned up 500 MB off my computer. It
runs faster after that. Anyway, that's what I did.
--
joebat23

The link I put in the post should start with http//: instead of www.
--
joebat23

"joebat23" wrote:

> [...]
> programs. The ones I had didn't pick it up -- Norton Antivirus, AVG, Panda,
> trojan scans, Ad_aware SE, SpyBot Search and Destroy, Spyware Doctor, etc. I
> tried start>search to look for Winfixer files -- no luck. A "UW" file did
> show up in the "Startup Tab" when I ran "Start" "msconfig." I did view
> several threads on Geeks-to-Go dealing with WinFixer, and they were helpful
> -- the "UW" files did appear in almost every thread submitted by the infected
> party. But when I tried to duplicate their VundoFix process by substituting
> my own dll files obtained from HiJackThis, I still had the Temp files listed
> above.
>
> One mice program listed in the Geeks-to-Go threads was Clean Up! I
> downloaded it and ran it and it says it cleaned up 500 MB off my computer. It
> runs faster after that. Anyway, that's what I did.

here are winfixers phone numbers. the numbers are for billingnow.com.
they are all part of the same scam winsoftware which is winfixer. 800
755-5909. 202 904 2212 and 519 488 5191. they will ask you for name and
email DONT GIVE IT TO THEM

lets give them a dose of what they gave us