[SOLVED] How is windows defender compared to paid antivirus?

Sagar_20

Distinguished
My antivirus has recently expired and i want to know if it's better to have a paid antivirus over the Microsoft windows built-in Windows defender? Does it provide real time protection against threats and ransomware?

Solution
Nowadays it is actually pretty good if you are on the latest version - but it wasn't always the case. Now I'm always an advocate of paid antivirus as they often release quicker and bigger patches and have additional features included. That and MS reputation for defender is not always fantastic.

I am an avid user of Bitdefender, so I've done a very streamlined summary of key elements from latest sampling comparing Defender to Bitdefender:

IndustryDefenderBitdefender
Protection against 0-day malware attacks (web and email)99%100%100%
Latest Malware detection100%100%100%
How much does it slow down...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Nowadays it is actually pretty good if you are on the latest version - but it wasn't always the case. Now I'm always an advocate of paid antivirus as they often release quicker and bigger patches and have additional features included. That and MS reputation for defender is not always fantastic.

I am an avid user of Bitdefender, so I've done a very streamlined summary of key elements from latest sampling comparing Defender to Bitdefender:

IndustryDefenderBitdefender
Protection against 0-day malware attacks (web and email)99%100%100%
Latest Malware detection100%100%100%
How much does it slow down copying of files2%0%2%
How much does it slow down common applications1%1%4% to 7%
False malware detection (>1mill samples)310

So you can see, this test (April 2019) actually shows it to be fantastic. So I certainly wouldn't worry about upgrading to a paid one urgently as it will protect you will, just depends what is value for money for you, and defender's protection capabilities could potentially change.

But this test doesn't necessarily include things like Ransomware per se (it could, as it should cover all latest malware, but there's no guarantee), whereas the likes of bitdefender has clear and individual modules dedicated to each service it offers.

Solution
I used (and was plenty satisfied with) both Qihoo's 360TS and SecureAPlus, testing each individually/separately for a year or so, the latter being a one year trial.

But, some 18 months later, still no infections if one stays off of websites known for being eager to distribute deceptive malware (such as many of the 'non-mainstream' movie /TV alternative streaming sites)

One can still run weekly Malwarebytes Antimalware scans, Zemana scans, via the free versions..... (A good complete backup image to retore from in case that strategy fails in epic fashion is advised)

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I used (and was plenty satisfied with) both Qihoo's 360TS and SecureAPlus, testing each individually/separately for a year or so, the latter being a one year trial.

But, some 18 months later, still no infections if one stays off of websites known for being eager to distribute deceptive malware (such as many of the 'non-mainstream' movie /TV alternative streaming sites)

One can still run weekly Malwarebytes Antimalware scans, Zemana scans, via the free versions..... (A good complete backup image to retore from in case that strategy fails in epic fashion is advised)
I think the only thing to be wary of there is that Malwarebytes free requires an Antivirus to run alongside it. Malwarebytes premium doesn't as anti-malware and anti-virus software typically do slightly different things whilst they both generally cover the same area.

Personally I've found myself recommending Bitdefender Free for those who want a third party Antivirus/malware software without paying. Doesn't have ads and has the long running award protection that Bitdefender offers. I know I sound like a sales rep, but it really has been in the top tiers for years now. Just requires an account and then it is an entirely self-sufficient antivirus.

Give it just depends on what you like in the software too.

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Windows defender tells me that my computer is running normally however, when i ran the premium trial of malwarebytes anti-malware, nearly 50 threats were detected like adware, backdoor agent, PUM, PUP, riskware agent, trojan agent, trojan stolen data. I have removed those but i hope i'll be protected with Windows defender in future.

Jun 20, 2019
My antivirus has recently expired and i want to know if it's better to have a paid antivirus over the Microsoft windows built-in Windows defender? Does it provide real time protection against threats and ransomware?
My experience is been great with Windows Defender so far, i have been using it for almost 2 years and i like it, it's not super invasive like other ones, and it works mostly.

Windows defender tells me that my computer is running normally however, when i ran the premium trial of malwarebytes anti-malware, nearly 50 threats were detected like adware, backdoor agent, PUM, PUP, riskware agent, trojan agent, trojan stolen data. I have removed those but i hope i'll be protected with Windows defender in future.
From the top of my head i think maybe Malwarebytes wants to scare you into buying the premium?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
My experience is been great with Windows Defender so far, i have been using it for almost 2 years and i like it, it's not super invasive like other ones, and it works mostly.

From the top of my head i think maybe Malwarebytes wants to scare you into buying the premium?
Again, remember than anti malware and anti virus software can do different things.
All viruses are malware, but not all malware are viruses. Malwarebytes tends to put a different focus in its testing and can often find those things that others may not because the others aren't searching for them.

It's perfectly trustworthy, just remember the free version is not a full antivirus.

I would stick to my personal recommendation of Bitdefender free if you wanted to try a free antivirus asides windows defender.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Isn't the premium version of Malwarebytes now a complete AV solution? I ask because years ago, I purchased a lifetime subscription to it and apparently, they upgraded it to work with the premium suite now. Can I just use that instead of Windows Defender as an all-in-one-solution for AV? Currently, I have Norton Internet Security and it's been pretty good, but it's getting more and more expensive each year as they drive the subscription cost up. I keep it around because my mother-in-law is not very internet-savvy and she once clicked on a bad link and it caused me to have to re-install Windows. So, I have 5 licenses for NIS so I gave her one and set it up so that it gives her a green check mark next to search results that Norton deems safe. Just much easier for me than having to always have her ask if it's okay to go a certain site. lol.

But I just installed a new SSD and installed the latest version of Windows on that so I could dual-boot back to my other version if needed and rather than instlaling Norton, I was thinking of using a combination of Windows Defender and Malwarebytes (which I haven't used in years) until I found that it's apparently a full AV suite now. So now I'm thinking of just using Malwarebytes Premium.

It seems people ask if they should be used together, but most of those are from years ago when I think Malwarebytes was just an anti-malware tool but it's since evolved into what appears to be a full AV suite.

Thanks for any input on this.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Isn't the premium version of Malwarebytes now a complete AV solution?
Effectively yes it is now. But If you want my personal opinion, I would avoid it as their July results were awful. I've seen Malwarebytes fluctuate in actual testing results, which is just too unstable and too much variation for me for a security product.

Thus why I've stuck to Bitdefender for years, and always stayed around Bitdefender and Kaspersky really. Bitdefender has pretty much always been top 2 with fantastic results.

Malwarebytes last results showed (3.7.1) a massive drop in protection against 0-day malware attacks, a smaller drop in new malware detection, but false positives were still at 0.

Reactions: isamuelson

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Also, by the way, provided you take into account the wise advice of Quietman7 in his post:

you can always use the most recent evaluations, combined with looking at those from a year or two prior to see what track record exists, for all the major antivirus/security suites at:

AV Test

AV Comparatives

SE Labs (Reports Page)

MRG Effitas (360 Protection Testing Category)

Those are about as close to "objective" as you'll get. Each has its own way of evaluating that puts different stress on different aspects, but at least that stress and those aspects remain unchanged (or largely unchanged) over time.