[SOLVED] How many power can bear my PSU ? 850W can really bear 800W ?

Oct 13, 2020
Hello there,

it's done, my new workstation parts has been shipped!!

BUT the only part that it's missing is the PSU. :( It seems they re all out of stock everywhere (at least here in France and Europe).

What i want to ask is : pcpartpicker website told me that the consumption of my WS will be circa 815W. (Threadripper 3970x + AsRock Taichi + RTX 3080 + heavy 3D rendering work for Archviz).

I wanted to buy a 1000W PSU (Corsair HX or even AX) but they are all vanished in the air. So the only thing i found is a HX850i at a shop in my hometown.

Do you think that temporaly it could work an 850W PSU with my WS or i risk to destroy it ? I never understood the tolerance of these parts..

thank you in advance and sorry for my poor english :(

Marco

Solution
The Hxi is generally a very good series of PSU's. It should hold up well pushing the full 850w, not that I recommend running it on the edge like that. At least at 815w you have some 'room' for spikes (as things turn on they briefly draw more power then when running)

popatim

Titan
The Hxi is generally a very good series of PSU's. It should hold up well pushing the full 850w, not that I recommend running it on the edge like that. At least at 815w you have some 'room' for spikes (as things turn on they briefly draw more power then when running)

Solution