How Microsoft Reduces Memory Use in Windows 8

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lockhrt999

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
LOL.You guys have misinterpreted this memory management thing. IT'S ACTUALLY OTHER WAY AROUND. I've been using win8 for quite some time. Everything is faster (I mean everything) than win7. Applications open instantaneously, machine boots instantaneously then why the fuck would you care how much ram it uses?.
On my phenom II x4 940, at lowest clock i.e. 0.8 GHz everything runs as butter smooth as if I'm running it at 3.0 GHz. This wasn't the case with win7.

Now I've started think that win7 was poorly built.

And stop whining about new start menu. Install classic start menu from sourceforge. It's better than what MS can/could provide.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]jabliese[/nom]The only reason they are doing this is for the notebook/tablet/phone market.[/citation]

And making our lives easier as a bonus. Isn't that good for you?

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]NapoleonDK[/nom]Will Premier use less ram? Ableton? Crysis?I'm really hoping to see something FAST, something NEW. [/citation]

Um, the OS is in charge of how much memory the OS uses. It is NOT in charge of how much memory other applications will ask for.

G

Oh here, pay 100% of your attention to the 10% of users using 16 gb of RAM, thats not how the world works buddy. Most people still have 4-6gb of RAM at most 8, but it's not that many numbers so microsoft is not going to pay attention to the guy with 20 gb of RAM and instead will pay attention to the people with 4gb or slightly more of ram.

G

I thought that Windows 8 was supposed to be better with memory than Windows 7. So far, that is not my experience.

When I boot up my brand new laptop (Samsung NP550P5C-S03CA Intel Core i5 3210M 8GB 1TB ) , the Task Manager Performance tab tells me that I have:

8.0 Gb of DDR3 available
of this:

3.7GB is in use, leaving 4.2GB available

3.5/25.9 GB is committed and 1.4GB is cached.

162Mb paged pool, 2.4GB non-paged.

I then go to the Details tab, and I add up the Memory used by all the processes. It comes to about 300Mb. That is 0.3GB. So what is using up the other 3.4GB of memory???

I then load up a bunch of programs that I use concurrently - notably Firefox (with about 30 tabs), Chrome, Thunderbird, Notepad++, Filezilla and my memory consumption goes up to 4.4GB. That seems about right.

I then work on it for a number of days, hibernating in-between, and I start to get notices that I am running low of memory. The performance tab says I am using 90% or more of my memory. The committed has gone up to 31GB. But if I add up the memory usage listed in the Details tab, it comes to only about 1800MB (I notice that Firefox has gone up to about 1300MB)

So, again, where has all my memory gone?

If I then close all the programs, it doesn't help. The details tab shows little running, yet the Performance tab shows I am still out of memory?

What is using up all my memory?

The only thing that clears it, is to do a restart. Which brings us back to the top of the loop, with the same initial question - what is using up over 4GB of my memory?

I never had these problems with windows 7.

As a sidenote, Win 8 also seems to be very unstable. Frequently getting programs not responding and crashing, including Windows Explorer, which seems to have to reload itself frequently.

Oh, and my wifi connection keeps dying and then I have to run the troubleshooter to get it all running again (my wife has that same problem on her brand new Acer).

So, what gives? How do I get my new laptop to work as fast as my 4 year old Sony Vaio with Win 7 and lower specs?

Anyone got any ideas? Or is this normal for windows 8?

mystuff22

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
Windows 8 is FAT HOG which sucks up disk space in unimaginable perportions - 32 GB on my brand new Toshiba. (and that is not a typo!) - yes folks 32 GB with Nothing Else Installed yet.
Eliminating page file (6 GB) helps.
Why would I need 6 GB of page file when I have 8 GB of memory???
Also eliminating hyberfile gets me another 4 GB - hell, the whole Win XP on my old system took less than 2 GB of space - and I thought it was a Space Hog!

The saddest part of it all is that you are FORCED TO PAY FOR WINDOWS 8 if you purchase a new computer!
No if, and's, or buts about it!!!
Believe me I tried every which way to get a new system without Windows on it - but it was NO Dice!
No Linux systems available! Wasn't there a court case about that???
Well I guess we know who has to obey the laws and who doesn't!!!

Turns out Bill Gates is as big a Money Hog as Windows 8 is a Space Hog!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.