How much faster will things run on an SSD?

G

If I install a game or application on to an SSD will it run faster? and how much?

Will everything run faster or will just the uses of the apps where they communicate with windows such as rendering a video.

If I place lossless video in the ssd drive will it run smoothly?

Thanks!

Solution
Everything working with disk storage will run significantly faster - you'll notice immediately. The smaller the files are the bigger the difference will be. With large files SSDs are these days at about 3x HDD speed. Once loaded and running from memory the difference will be close to none.

Windows - depending also on cpu, but in general starts to complete 'ready' state within couple of seconds
Games - loading times reduce a lot, games that use continuous loading might get less framerate drop spikes caused by disk IO waits (or reduce ammount of badly or not textured surfaces as the system now delivers the data much faster). Once everything is in the RAM, zero difference.
Software development - Visual Studio with Resharper and larger...

JanHyka

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016
Everything working with disk storage will run significantly faster - you'll notice immediately. The smaller the files are the bigger the difference will be. With large files SSDs are these days at about 3x HDD speed. Once loaded and running from memory the difference will be close to none.

Windows - depending also on cpu, but in general starts to complete 'ready' state within couple of seconds
Games - loading times reduce a lot, games that use continuous loading might get less framerate drop spikes caused by disk IO waits (or reduce ammount of badly or not textured surfaces as the system now delivers the data much faster). Once everything is in the RAM, zero difference.
Software development - Visual Studio with Resharper and larger projects - several times faster, much more responsive, perf gap increases with the project size

Lossless video - what do you mean by that? Uncompressed video? Or H264/H265? 4k? If you are getting stuggering with blu-ray quality video it's either heavily fragmented or malfunctioning disk, sloware (hello Symantec Antivirus for one) or your computer lacks hardware acceleration for repective video codec.

Solution
G

Thanks for the answer, i meant uncompressed video. When I render out some videos from CInema 4D they are very laggy on my desktop and I need to either upload them or place them in sony vegas pro to view them properly.

JanHyka

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016
Are you really sure they are uncompressed? As uncompressed full hd video is 207MB per second (1920x1080x32bppx25fps). Or roughly 12,5GB per minute... sound and meta data excluded

G

yep. I render my videos from c4d fully uncompressed. Animations are usually short though

JanHyka

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016

Then indeed you will need an SSD to be able to handle that. Just pick at least 480/512 GB range not to run out of space.