?? how OEM CPU is different from regular CPU?

mpjesse

Splendid
OEM usually comes with a 12-30 days warranty from the reseller and it doesn't come with a heatsink/fan. It's usually worth the risk to buy a OEM CPU. They're a lot cheaper and chances are if it works the first time you power it on- it'll work forever.

-MP Jesse

G

OEM athlons have a 1 year warrenty, compared to intel's 15-30 day. I think 1 year is enough. I think retail athlons have 3 years, intel 1 year.

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No all OEM chips from AMD and Intel have a one year warranty. Also OEM chips are ment for system builders for resale. Hence why Compaqs, HP's, etc, have a one year warranty. Most all OEM hardware carries a one year warranty. This crap that dealers list about 12-30 day, 6 month warrany is wrong. AMD or Intel warranties the chips, not the dealers.

G

You are absolutely, 100%, INCORRECT. If you go and look at AMD's web site, I did when I saw your post because I thought you were wrong, and it turns out you are. AMD only warranty's CPU of the OEM version purchased from them directly. So if you buy an OEM version of the CPU, no box/fan/heatsink, you get the warranty offered to you from the vendor/online seller/retailer, not a one year warranty on OEM stuff. I believe Intel might warranty OEM stuff for a year, but not AMD. AMD will gladly give you a three year warranty if you bought the Retail Version in the box with the AMD approved Heatink/Fan. In this case AMD will work with you, the customer on a warranty, otherwise all OEM versions are left out in the cold. I don't really care, as I have not ever burned up a CPU and not needed a warranty yet. The only parts I have ever had to have warrantied are Hard Drives! which in almost all cases carry the same warranty regardless of how you bought it.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yes you are right. I build computesr and I have to warrant everything, the warrants don't come directly from AMD.

-----------------
Satan Clara...... 'Nuff said.