How often do you buy video games in a year?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 11, 2021
Previously, I bought very often, such as Assassin, because previously they came out very interesting, after a few parts, the meaning was lost and I did not understand anything, much has changed in terms of game management. And I was discouraged, I now play online in Dota 2, and it appeals to me more than any story games.

D

Deleted member 14196

Yeah game pass for the win

what do you do if you stack three years of Xbox gold live using digital codes. They allow you to stack three years of service and then you convert the game pass and you will only pay one dollar a month for those three years. It’s totally worth it and that’s why I’m playing Forza horizon five now

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
For Nintendo consoles, I buy roughly three or four games per year. Pc games a bit more depending on the price of the games. Though I do want to complete my steam backlog more so than buying more pc games.

Usually depends from how much titles in my Steam wishlist receive a discount. Eq. 4-10 games in year. Although really played titles are 2-3, because I have not much time for games. And most of bought titles are old games which I pirated in my youth. Sort of repaying an old debt :)

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

HandyHands

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
Buying 2-3 titles per year usually. Only Elden Ring last year. GoG "sold" me 2 games at 2021 for free, but their launcher refuses to work. Luckily a month ago, found that Ultima Underworld became free, so I've got it from another site.:)

Mr. Smith

BANNED
Dec 25, 2021
As a gamer, are you the type that likes to buy lots of games per year or are you the more conservative one who is dedicated to only a few games and only moves to newer titles once you've exhausted all resources out of your old games? Or are you in-between?
Twice a year, However now stuck with rainbow six .

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Unfortunately its only 1 to 3 times a year in recent years now.
They just don't make games like they used to.
And I refuse to preorder games anymore as well.
The gaming industry is devolving for the most part and impulse buyers or just kids who don't know any better seem to be feeding that...

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
i buy games about 2-3 times a year, ive actually only had a legitimate pc for about 6 months but on average in the 6 years of computer gaming, ive spent money about 2-3 times a year.

TalkingTomCat

Prominent
Aug 22, 2022
Atleast 3 to 5 games, includes in app purchases as well on Android and what game can be fun for kids..

I purchase for windows, ps, android.

I buy a few. This year I did buy both spider man games and mount and blade 2, which I’d never played before. I also bought uncharted on pc as well as Gotham knights. I do agree that they don’t make games as they used to. On the old assassins creed games for example I could sit and play those to completion. Up until about syndicate, which I haven’t finished as of yet. But it used to be the older games were kind of like playing a movie. A lot of games now just seem stupid and not worth my time. Whatever happened to games similar to Lords of the Realm for example. They were simple but a lot of fun. Half the games now are about blood, a lot of them seem too dark for my taste.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I didn't buy any last year, Probably will this year. I know I probably buy Diablo 4 unless they turn it into Immortal just before release.

Apart from that, I don't know. I should to test out new GPU.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I got my Steam year in review thing or whatever it's called.

Apparently, I played TWO games in 2022. Don't Starve, and Plants vs Zombies GOTY.

The former was 59% of my game time, the latter was 41% of my game time.

I know that I played PvZ for maybe an hour, or less, just to show my GF the concept of the game, etc. But, that implies that I've played DS for less than an hour and a half. A chunk of THAT was from trying out to see if the game worked on my new, budget-ish laptop (5300U CPU), and having to set the controls (which were apparently completely unset when I installed it on the laptop).

Damn, what happened? I didn't think it was THAT long since I'd actually played a game to, well, actually play it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Seems I played first game in a year last night and beat my top score 3 games in a row so clearly they made it easier in the year since I stopped playing
Dorfromntik

Hardly a hard game but can be tricky
KOl7XGy.jpg

jorge_medion

Honorable
Jan 20, 2018
I purchase very few games, in a year maybe 2-3 games but as someone who is into historical strategy/tactical strategy games I can spend a lot of money in a single game + DLCs. Examples of that are: Scourge of War Waterloo (game + DLCs about 70 euro), HistWar Napoleon around 50 euro (basic version) and also some Total Wars which are a bit expensive like Rome 2 Total War Emperor Edition around 60 euro. I am a very casual player.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I'd had this plan or thought that's finally become a reality:

All the oddball gathered games and such from various sources acquired throughout my use of this gaming pc I currently run, doing away and deleting everything "every single game ever acquired" and then placing the repayable worthy games on my wish list in Steam, Rockstar launcher, EA app, and Ubisoft connect respectively.

Waited for specials on some of these games and bought others outright at full price, At this point I have 100% legitimate and fully ranged spectrum of replay worthy playable pc games on my pc and still some to download.

I think this is quite admirable achievement and sets the way forward for plenty of new games to be released by these loved publishers of these games.

I'm unsure how many purchases I made last year, but I recon going by what I said above it's quite alot.

Edit: (did a quick count and I'm sitting nicely at 80 legitimate pc game title licenses) at point of writing this.

Last edited: