[SOLVED] How significant is this bottleneck?

Feb 7, 2022
So I have an i5 7600k and a RTX 2070. Had the 2070 for a year, and the CPU for 5 at this point. Because I have been stuck on the LGA 1151 chipset, (I may be mistaken but whatever the i5 7600k is) if I upgrade pretty much any component I'll need to upgrade another one too. So I don't really want to misspend or make a misinformed purchase.

I am primarily looking for performance with this build, and know nothing about new Intel or Ryzen chips. Can I get some input on great budget-mid end CPU's for FPS games? And motherboards as well?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Solution
Gaming performance will be limited by the cpu or the gpu.
Fast action games will usually be limited by graphics.
Games such as sims, strategy or MMO will more often be limited by the single thread performance of your cpu.
Sometimes by the lack of sufficient processing threads in multiplayer games.
I imagine that you are concerned by the performance of the 7600K.
Try this simple test:

Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

As a simple check, run the CPU-Z bench test.
You should get a number around 538...

kanewolf

Titan
So I have an i5 7600k and a RTX 2070. Had the 2070 for a year, and the CPU for 5 at this point. Because I have been stuck on the LGA 1151 chipset, (I may be mistaken but whatever the i5 7600k is) if I upgrade pretty much any component I'll need to upgrade another one too. So I don't really want to misspend or make a misinformed purchase.

I am primarily looking for performance with this build, and know nothing about new Intel or Ryzen chips. Can I get some input on great budget-mid end CPU's for FPS games? And motherboards as well?

How do you define "preformance" ? FPS in what game at what resolution ? Or what other application ?
How does the system perform as-is ?
Your title asks about a "bottleneck" but then you ask about replacement. What is it you are trying to accomplish ?

Gaming performance will be limited by the cpu or the gpu.
Fast action games will usually be limited by graphics.
Games such as sims, strategy or MMO will more often be limited by the single thread performance of your cpu.
Sometimes by the lack of sufficient processing threads in multiplayer games.
I imagine that you are concerned by the performance of the 7600K.
Try this simple test:

Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

As a simple check, run the CPU-Z bench test.
You should get a number around 538:
http://valid.x86.fr/bench/5fb4sd
Yours may be lower since many submissions will come from overclocked 7600K systems.

Last edited:
Solution

What country are you located and what is your budget?