News How to Blocks Ads Network-Wide With Pi-hole on Raspberry Pi

Aug 1, 2021
Nice article. Been using a pi hole connected to my router for ages but wasn't aware of the whitelist domain option, so good catch! 👍

pixelpusher220

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Nice article. Been using a pi hole connected to my router for ages but wasn't aware of the whitelist domain option, so good catch! 👍
How often do you encounter sites that don't function due to the pi-hole?
I'd love to do it but with the non-techies in my household, the tech support job is mine...lol

Aug 1, 2021
I'd love to do it but with the non-techies in my household, the tech support job is mine...lol
I've been using pi-hole for about 2 years now and I've never encountered a site not working. The main issues is with my wife browsing Etsy and Instagram and not being able to go to the ad sites (she regularly tells me). Also, sponsored links in Google searches don't work, but that's it from our experience.

vishnumrao

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008

Many times. As an example a redirect from deal websites like slickdeals will not work. I guess these redirects are tracked for hits and sale etc. My wife mostly browses on her phone. She deafeats or rather works around the pihole block by turning off wifi (much to my frustration, :) )

Aug 1, 2021
Sadly i buyed Rpi zero for using pi-hole just for one reason... Youtube on Smart TV. But unfortunatly you can't block YouTube videos with Pi-hole. This should be mentioned in article.

pixelpusher220

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Small comment on your whitelisting... If your site serves the ads the whitelisting will work, but as the ads are NOT served by tomshardware.com whitelisting it does nothing...
This. I will happily allow ads directly from Toms or whatever site. It's the third party crap that's the problem. I have a very long whitelist built up in NoScript as I've tailored the minimum to get stuff working.

Reactions: Howardohyea
May 15, 2023
I think this guide needs an update. I could not use the user "pi" anymore. Apparently, it is a security update in Rasp Pi OS? I searched long and hard and finally found a raspberry pi hole guide that addressed this point - for anyone facing any issues.

I've been running PiHole for quite a while, even blocks a ton of ads on the smart TV's, I run it on my media server and secondary on a PC thats on almost all the time.

NextDNS is pretty good as well but its hosted off site, get 300K queries for free each month, 20 bucks for a year and bunch of block lists you can play around with.

TRENDING THREADS