News How to Bypass Windows 11's TPM Requirement and Upgrade from Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Eleven Forums is a great site for all things Windows 11. Us Windows 11 DEV insider program testers have found recently that a lot of the previous computer builds and workarounds that worked with Win 11 have now been getting cut off by MS. Before using any workarounds, I would wait to see if they continue to work after the official release in a few days of Windows 11 rather than having to roll back to Win10. I have yet to see any must-have features from Win11 to make me recommend a quick upgrade to win11 so it is best to wait for now to see how things pan out. Perhaps in a few months, MS will relax its present requirements or there will be something like Storage Sense that really makes the Win 11 upgrade worthwhile. For now tho, just let the upgrade go by if you are not automatically eligible for the upgrade or are unsure about making the jump. There is no rush.

Reactions: ollie_ef

dutty handz

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015
TPM isn't an issue. Why the media got hooked on that requirement, I don't know. TPM 2.0 is in essentially all CPUs from 2015 onwards. The issue here is the requirement for Secure Boot being enabled (which most current custom PC builds out there aren't, and businesses) and the ridiculous arbitrary ruling on CPUs whether an 8th Gen Intel Core or 2nd gen Ryzen. Even a 1950x Threadripper isn't cutting it even though its stronger than an i9-10920X.

USAFRet

Titan
TPM isn't an issue. Why the media got hooked on that requirement, I don't know. TPM 2.0 is in essentially all CPUs from 2015 onwards. The issue here is the requirement for Secure Boot being enabled (which most current custom PC builds out there aren't, and businesses) and the ridiculous arbitrary ruling on CPUs whether an 8th Gen Intel Core or 2nd gen Ryzen. Even a 1950x Threadripper isn't cutting it even though its stronger than an i9-10920X.
"the media" got hooked on that to promote clicks, pointing at the evul Microsoft invalidating 7 year old systems.

The current Win 10 is viable until at least Oct 2025.
But any system that is currently not Win 11 viable, will be quite old in age and performance, by the time Win 10 falls off any support.

The ONLY people this impacts are those with older systems (like mine) and GHIN Syndrome (not me).

NP

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2015
Yeah, I really don't understand what are the advantages and disadvantages of TPM2.0. I don't think there has been much about that. All the articles only discuss how to make it work (click a button in bios, wow), how to go around TPM requirement (like this article), who will have problems (practically no one).

What I am missing is an article that says who should and who shouldn't care about TPM2.0, abd why. I'm willing to bet that this article would be quite interesting but not very useful, because it would just indicate that 99% of individual end-users have no reason to ever think about TPM2.0.

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah, I really don't understand what are the advantages and disadvantages of TPM2.0. I don't think there has been much about that. All the articles only discuss how to make it work (click a button in bios, wow), how to go around TPM requirement (like this article), who will have problems (practically no one).

What I am missing is an article that says who should and who shouldn't care about TPM2.0, abd why. I'm willing to bet that this article would be quite interesting but not very useful, because it would just indicate that 99% of individual end-users have no reason to ever think about TPM2.0.
Any system built and sold in the last 4 years or so is already TPM capable.
Either hardware or firmware.

Users need to do nothing.

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
Probably because there are literally millions and millions of systems running on ivy/sandy bridge which is one of the most popular platforms ever and those systems are more than capable of running the current hardware/software/AAA games available, but arbitrary requirements(TPM/CPU) are attempting to cut them out of the picture.
"just go buy a new PC" is not a very well received option.

Why the media got hooked on that requirement, I don't know. TPM 2.0 is in essentially all CPUs from 2015 onwards.

USAFRet

Titan
Probably because there are literally millions and millions of systems running on ivy/sandy bridge which is one of the most popular platforms ever and those systems are more than capable of running the current hardware/software/AAA games available, but an arbitrary requirement is attempting to cut them out of the picture.
"just go buy a new PC" is not a very well received option.
And those system will be almost a decade old when their current OS, Win 10, falls off support in 2025.

"just go buy a new PC" does not mean "just go buy a new PC TODAY" .

Apr 1, 2020
First generation Ryzen processors are not Windows 11 compatible, and they are not slouches in the performance segment, and even in 2025 likely will not hold back high resolution gaming anymore than Haswell does today and it's 8 years old. Granted most people by then will have likely upgraded to at least a Ryzen 3000 series, but to force a hardware upgrade just so DRM can go on TPM identifiers vs serial numbers or some other arbitrary reason is BS.

USAFRet

Titan
First generation Ryzen processors are not Windows 11 compatible, and they are not slouches in the performance segment, and even in 2025 likely will not hold back high resolution gaming anymore than Haswell does today and it's 8 years old. Granted most people by then will have likely upgraded to at least a Ryzen 3000 series, but to force a hardware upgrade just so DRM can go on TPM identifiers vs serial numbers or some other arbitrary reason is BS.
I don't necessarily agree or disagree with the Win 11 hardware requirements.

But...they had to put the line somewhere.
Wherever that was, some people would be pissed off.

Win 10 sort of spoiled us as to compatibility. Systems from 2008/2009 would run it no problem.
Then again, a 2008 system was only 7 years old when WIn 10 was released in 2015.

So, I ask the wider audience....where should they have put the line at?
What generation Intel or AMD would be 'too old'?

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
It is possible to come up with TPM/security hardware acceleration PCI or PCIe card to make older computers more secure and install Windows 11? Would something like this be viable from not making ewaste from good working computers?

USAFRet

Titan
It is possible to come up with TPM/security hardware acceleration PCI or PCIe card to make older computers more secure and install Windows 11? Would something like this be viable from not making ewaste from good working computers?
e-waste...

My current main system (specs below), is not Win 11 compatible.
Windows 11 is to be released in a couple of days, Oct 5.

Guess what?
This system will not automagically become e-waste on the evening of Oct 5.
Nor will it cease to operate.
Nor will it operate at any lower performance than it does today.

What happens in 2024/2025...I will plan for and worry about then.

Apr 1, 2020
I don't necessarily agree or disagree with the Win 11 hardware requirements.

But...they had to put the line somewhere.
Wherever that was, some people would be pissed off.

Win 10 sort of spoiled us as to compatibility. Systems from 2008/2009 would run it no problem.
Then again, a 2008 system was only 7 years old when WIn 10 was released in 2015.

So, I ask the wider audience....where should they have put the line at?
What generation Intel or AMD would be 'too old'?

They chose to draw the line at TPM 2.0, something not required for anything except DRM and will not feature in the Chinese and some other foreign editions, but they chose to keep the requirements low at 1ghz dual core, 4GB RAM, 64gb storage, and 1280x720 display, all of which were commonly exceeded 15 years ago except on garbage low end OEM machines and today barely runs Windows much less any application on top of that.

As far as generation goes, I'd say Sandy Bridge on Intel and Zen on AMD with the additional requirement that it feature at least a 2ghz quad core. The requirements should also be upped to 8GB RAM, 256GB storage, and 1920x1080 display resolution, something fitting for 2021.

Oct 2, 2021
TPM 2.0, something not required for anything except DRM

Not entirely true. TPM is used for far more than DRM. TPM is something designed to keep users from compromising their systems due to ignorance. I think the requirement is a good thing. Businesses have been using TPMs for years to ensure their systems are secure and the OS not tainted with malicious files. I think it is high time MS and other OS manufacturers started requiring it in personal systems. Maybe with a TPM requirement we can see a reduction in compromised systems in the wild.

We should not be telling users how to get around the TPM requirement, but rather encourage people to get systems with them.

D

Deleted member 1353997

The ONLY people this impacts are those with older systems (like mine) and GHIN Syndrome (not me).
Off-topic: what is GHIN syndrome? I googled it, and the first five results were about "Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS)", which appears to be a muscle weakness caused by the immune system damaging the peripheral nervous system.
The remaining results are even worse, including a "fetal alcohol syndrome" also known as "gin epidemic", something cancer related called "Schinzel-Giedion syndrome", and something about the HIN-200 gene family and HIN-200 proteins.

I feel like you're referring to some sort of psychological or sociological problem, rather than a cerebral, genetic, or developmental defect.

EDIT: Ironically, it seems that Bing is giving me slightly more relevant results.
The first one being a link to this very forum thread, then a "Ghinn score" related to a card game called "Ghin games", some sort of kidney disease, and the "Golf Handicap and Information Network (GHIN)".

I don't think you meant card games or golf either, though...

EDIT 2:
I just realized it could mean: "Gotta Have It Now". Did I guess correctly?

Last edited by a moderator:

USAFRet

Titan
GHIN = 'Gotta Have It Now'.

Witness the lines outside BestBuy/Walmart the night before Black Friday, or outside the Apple store upon release of the next iPhone.

The release of Win 11 is no different. As it was with Win 10.

Nothing official, but far too many people suffer from it.

D

Deleted member 1353997

GHIN = 'Gotta Have It Now'.

Witness the lines outside BestBuy/Walmart the night before Black Friday, or outside the Apple store upon release of the next iPhone.

The release of Win 11 is no different. As it was with Win 10.

Nothing official, but far too many people suffer from it.
Thanks. Yes, too many people are suffering from this.

Funnily enough, I've seen people trying to justify their misplaced outrage using "climate change" as an excuse. Their rationale being that a "massive amount" of people would buy new hardware just so they can have Windows 11, which would "significantly impact" our environment.

I've spent a considerable amount of hours digging through old statistics to discover that since 2009 there was not a single Windows version whose growth in market share had been significantly higher at or around launch compared to any other month of any other year (aside from stagnation and decline towards the end of their lifespan), except for Windows 10 during its first 12 months, whose growth greatly affected the decline of Windows 7 and 8.1, but did not appear to have affected 8, Vista, or XP. As for before 2009, my extrapolation shows me that Vista actually had a stronger growth in January 2009 than in the entire 26 months period since its launch, because if it had the same growth for every month since launch, then it should've had twice the market share it had at the beginning of 2009.

Considering how Vista was heavily criticized for its hardware requirements (not unlike Windows 11 right now), it stands to reason that there's no reason to believe Windows 11 will impact climate change any more than any other version of Windows before it; at least not through hardware sales.

If you're curious, I got my statistical data about Windows market share from here: Desktop Windows Version Market Share Worldwide | Statcounter Global Stats

USAFRet

Titan
Funnily enough, I've seen people trying to justify their misplaced outrage using "climate change" as an excuse. Their rationale being that a "massive amount" of people would buy new hardware just so they can have Windows 11, which would "significantly impact" our environment.
Absolutely.
"An increase in e-waste."

Not gonna happen.

rafadorock4

Reputable
Jan 2, 2018
A simple script allows you to upgrade to Windows 11 or up your previously-installed Windows 11 if you don't have TPM.

How to Bypass Windows 11's TPM Requirement and Upgrade from Windows 10 : Read more

Guys there is an easier way:

1 - Create any windows 10 iso.
2 - Create any windows 11 iso.
3 - Extract the windows 10 iso at any folder of your desire.
4 - Mount the windows 11 iso in the system, then navigate to the sources folder and copy the file install.wim, then replace it in the extracted windows 10 iso at same sources folder.
5 - Unmount the windows 11 iso.
6 - Open the extracted windows 10 iso and run the setup.exe

The installation will say you the version being installed is a windows 10 one but in fact it will install windows 11.

Also if you are using exact same region and language on the isos from the current installed one, it will offer you to keep your files and apps.

Of course, this method also works for bootable USB. Make sure the usb drive has the windows 10 version then replace the install.wim file from the windows 11 iso and you are good to go.

Hope this helps

Reactions: pchero808

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
e-waste...

What happens in 2024/2025...I will plan for and worry about then.

Guess what! After testing Windows 11 final ISO release today, I find it to be complete worthless garbage. They removed taskbar customizations, file explorer lost most functionality, context menus complete joke. I'll keep that TPM settings disabled for the foreseeable future to prevent the upgrade on my main computers. Will keep it on one laptop just to see how it evolves.
Windows 10 is good until October 2025, so if Windows 12 is not going to include power users, maybe it will be a good time to move to Linux. Who knows, maybe by that time consoles will be so powerful, that we won't need PC for gaming, or maybe Valve could create a Steam OS based on Linux.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021
My MacBook Pro 2015 Retina installed Parallels Desktops 17, Microsoft official REG modification and Skip_TPM_Check_on_Dynamic_Update_v2.cmd, it works with Windows 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS